Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,835   Online: 830

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Acrophobia.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Acrophobia.

Anyone else suffer from fear of heights? What a cruddy malady to plague a photographer.
    So many lost shots when vertigo sets in and I'm about to be pitched into the void.Dang!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not usually, but I do have stage fright.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I quite like heights myself but a someone at work who doesn't once said "I don't mind heights so long as I am at the bottom of them".

.... and I never get stage fright!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am not afraid of heights as long as I have something to hold onto; a guard rail, handhold, anything. But if I have to go up on a roof or other unprotected area, I cannot walk to the edge. I have no problem inside airplanes.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm quite lucky, as I have no phobias. Since I was a kid, someone has had to restrain me. Plus I love the stage. :-)

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Acrophobia should not to be confused with Acrosphobia: the fear of Fuji b/w film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    Anyone else suffer from fear of heights? What a cruddy malady to plague a photographer.
    So many lost shots when vertigo sets in and I'm about to be pitched into the void.Dang!!
    Sadly, yes :-(. Although I'd refine my phobia slightly to be 'fear of falling' rather than fear of heights as such - I could be 5,000 feet up on a cliff edge and I'd be fine if there was a railing at waist height. (Hell, I used to fly gliders and never had a problem.)

I think my worst episode to date was on a walking trip in Iceland with RB67 over shoulder. Came up to a horrifically narrow ledge going around a corner with about a 600 foot drop into the bottom of the valley. On the outward trip I coped because I couldn't actually see around the corner how far I had to go - on the way back though I knew exactly how far it was going to take me and wound up having a full blown panic attack, with me on the ground clinging onto the Earth for dear life.

To add insult to injury, I later saw a bunch of kids on a pony treck succesfully navigating the same ledge on horseback. Sigh.
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I also have the dreaded fear of falling and heights. These may have come naturally and then been reinforced by a couple of falls. One was with a large car battery while going up a ladder to a boat in storage. The boat whose bottom I had just painted was now less stable than before. As I climbed aboard, the boat shifted, and battery and I were thrown. The battery survived the fall, but I was knocked out and woke up as they were loading me in into an ambulance.

One thing that has helped, and came as a surprise to Peter Spangenberg, is that I carry an assortment of old dock lines in the car. When wishing to photograph a waterfall while looking down from a cliff edge, Peter was quite surprised when I returned from the car with a heavy line for me and another for the camera. Once we were tied off to a tree I felt much better about the situation. The panoramic scene filled the 7x17 frame and was dramatic. My shorts however were not filled. My body, brain and camera survived the event unscathed. Once I knew I could not fall beyond the length of the tether I was okay. Try it near a very short drop to see if it works for you. If it works there, increase the drop distance, until you know what the limits are for you. Be sure that you know how to tie good sailor knots.

John Powers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I hate heights too. Recently, a group of us were on the roof of a 20 story building. They were dangling over the edge, shooting and such - I couldn't even watch them and had to leave.

John, do you suppose the rope trick would work for helicopters as well? I don't know how I would carry those miles of rope though!
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes. I have a problem standing close to the edge of a building or cliff, but oddly enough I can sit in an airplane 30,000 feet in the air and look out the window no problem.

Jerry

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin