Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,332   Posts: 1,537,369   Online: 1121

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, Lee has used the technically correct term, "diagonal". This is critical in lens work and lens design. Imagine a 50mm huge telephoto designed for 8mm work. The rear end of that lens would be tiny indeed and the diagonal for an 8mm frame would be tiny. Also consider that due to this concentration of image, the f stop for a 50mm lens for 8mm would be wider than a comparable 50mm lens for 35mm. This explains the maximum aperature of a 4x5 lens being what it is. The concentration of light is a key factor in the light gathering ability of a lens.

I think there is no single answer. We have to consider all of the details in choosing a lens or describing it.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just my background I suppose, but I like numbers! An eighty millimeter lens is always an 80 millimeter lens. Presumably I know, or quickly learn, my specific gear to take it from there.

DaveT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin