Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,846   Online: 948

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    I've found my Luna Pro F to be a very good tool. The only area I think it lacks is when used as an incident meter in street photography, or similar situations where you want to be rather inconspicuous; in which case you have to hold it in front of you and point it back at yourself (the incident dome is on the front end of the housing, rather than the top surface where the controls and readout are at); whereas with meters like the Sekonic, with the white dome on the upper surface of the meter, all you have to do is hold up the meter in front of you and take a reading; just a bit less conspicuous. Check out the documentary "War Photographer" to see what I mean.

~Joe

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Some people don't like the way the scale works, (you center the needle, then the dial shows the exposure). But I find it very fast to use, and comparative readings very easy.
    The idea is that one does not need to center the needle, but rather place it from the beginning, by turning the dial, on an exposure level as far off center, as one thinks the object's luminance should be placed (eg. +1 for some skin tone).

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Joe,

I don't get your idea. You can hold the meter as you like, or rather need, freeze the metering and then turn the meter the way that you can see the needle, place it as you like and do the readings from the scale of the dial.

Edit:
    For the Profisix there was an swivelling-opaque-sphere adaptor called Profi-lux, enabling you to look at the dial and the same time doing an incident metering to another direction
    Last edited by AgX; 10-18-2008 at 03:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For LunaSix, etc., using currently available batteries is possible with the adapters sold here: [I have no connection with vendor]

http://www.paulbg.com/Nikon_F_meter_batteries.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i think you mean 9 volt battery ...
    Yep. FWIW I find the F to be a great general purpose meter (although a good spot meter will beat it where spot readings are called for) and the SBC to be the world's greatest low light meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Same here

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The SBC is also known as the Profisix in Canada and many other parts of the world.

The instruction manuals for many of the Gossen meters can be found on the Gossen site:

http://www.gossen-photo.de/english/foto_sammler.html

I've had my Profisix for almost 30 years, and it is a great meter.

I now have a Gossen Digiflash as well, for those times when I need something tiny.

Matt
    They call them Profisix here in the UK too Matt. and probably in most of Europe, I referred to them as Lunapro SBC for the benefit of "Our American Cousins".
    Last edited by benjiboy; 10-19-2008 at 05:39 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: error
    Ben

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess it would be a good idea if someone could post a list of the US designations next to the original ones.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For some reason i know not, many things from many brands go under different names in the U.S. only. The Profisix is called that everywhere in the world except the U.S.

I have used several Profisix and Lunasix F meters. Great things, but all of mine have suffered the same fate: the needle would start swinging erratically, going to the right end of the scale, hitting the stop rather violently.
    I never found the cause, though it appeared to have something to do with a bad contact. I could get the meter to perform that trick by squeezing the meter, or stop it doing so by doing the same.

The potentiometer connected to the scales is fixed to the top half of the body shell. The rest of the electronics is in the bottom half. The connection between the two is made by a few loose ends sticking down from the top half, hoping to hit some tabs in the bottom half. Suspecting that that might be part of the problem, i soldered wires between the contacts (long enough to still be able to open the thing, of course).
    It helped! But sadly, only for a while.

I liked these meters enough to have used a bunch of them though.
    I stopped (still have a Lunasix F and a Profisix in a box, 'in reserve') when i switched to the Mastersix. Also a great meter, but mine is showing its age now too.
    But i often use a metered prism anyway, and i carry a tiny Digisix too, for when a metered prism woud not be the best thing to use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Q.G. , I have the same behavior from my SBC time ago, in my case, the solution was simpler: the bad contact were in the battery conecting pad, tighten the open bornes delicately with a plier is enough to refit that thing. It causes no more problem anymore! Hope it help. Regards.

Miguel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, Miguel.
    I will try that (still have my 'last' LunaSix F and Profisix boxed, ready for when i might need them).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin