Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,160   Online: 1086

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Basic run down on Luna Pro models

I have been tasked with finding a Gossen Luna Pro or Luna Six by an instructor I assist. He is not good with E-Bay, as he has a busy schedule and is always outbid at the last minute.

He is aware that there is a battery issue on some if not all models. As usual, 625 batteries causing problems for us......

I have used them before, but I am not familiar with the specifics of these meters. Before I start scouring the 'net for one to purchase, what is the basic difference between models, and what is required to power them properly? I am finding reference to the F, S, SBC....

Is there a model I can look for that does not need a $40 adapter?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 10-18-2008 at 01:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The F and SBC use common 6volt bateries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are all the Gossen meter instruction books on this site http://www.butkus.org/chinon/flashes_meters.htm
    the SBC denotes that it uses a Silicon Blue Cell,(not a Cds Cadmium Sulphide one) that is more sensitive, and has a better spectral response.
    I would recommend you look for a Lunapro SBC it uses a PP3 9volt battery you can get anywhere, I've used one for more than twenty years,and it's a first class meter. I have owned a Gossen Lunalite, and Lunasix in the past, but because of it's null method reading dial I find this one the best to use.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 10-18-2008 at 06:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Gossen have the relevant manuals available for download, so why go throug Butkus?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll second Ben's recommendation of the SBC, no battery worries, very versatile. Some people don't like the way the scale works, (you center the needle, then the dial shows the exposure). But I find it very fast to use, and comparative readings very easy.

FWIW, a Luna Pro F showed up this morning in the local Craigslist for $50.00; http://nh.craigslist.org/pho/883790754.html
    Last edited by bdial; 10-18-2008 at 07:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    The F and SBC use common 6volt bateries.
    i think you mean 9 volt battery ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    I'll second Ben's recommendation of the SBC, no battery worries, very versatile. Some people don't like the way the scale works, (you center the needle, then the dial shows the exposure). But I find it very fast to use, and comparative readings very easy.
    The beauty of the null reading dial I find in actual use is it is calibrated in actual stops, and is very easy to see at a glance what the subjects contrast range is by watching the swing of the needle, also to adjust exposure by giving a stop more or less etc.
    I bought mine new about twenty years ago and they were very expensive, you can buy them for silly prices nowadays that bear no relation to their value as a lightmeter.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the Luna Pro F and like it quite a lot for the reasons stated above about the null reading. It is a very accurate meter, easy to use. The only two features (or lack of) that I don't like is that it doesn't take the 1 degree adapter and it doesn't have a connector for the flash feature.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought an SBC at a garage sale years ago, great meter. Although it has been moved to back up for the Pentax V.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The SBC is also known as the Profisix in Canada and many other parts of the world.

The instruction manuals for many of the Gossen meters can be found on the Gossen site:

http://www.gossen-photo.de/english/foto_sammler.html

I've had my Profisix for almost 30 years, and it is a great meter.

I now have a Gossen Digiflash as well, for those times when I need something tiny.

Matt

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin