Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,745   Online: 950

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You know, I had always considered looking into local clubs to get to meet local photographers and never quite followed through due to stories such as these. Well, don't foresee a change in that anytime soon.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All good post, so the view is digi, this is all that is needed to be in on the in crowd. So all of us do not belong, film bias or old people. Never mind them they are not in the real world.
    There is a chap where i work who is a X printer for the local news paper, well be fore they closed, and if often comments on the world of digi, and ask how the dark room is going. With the next statement, you can't beat a good B/W print done in the old way's. I do agree, what else could i say. I do take a print in work for him to look at. Makes him smile.
    I have noticed on the local photography club site, that there is a lot of P/S work done to the on show print's. Is this to say we look forward to your digi's. Or come along and we will convert you.
    By the post so far, it is as above, we will digi you.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've always resisted any offers from friends to join camera clubs as I've never liked the idea of competitions, battles etc.

However, I've recently joined a new independent photography group in my area. It's based on the ideals of IPSE (www.ipse.org.uk) and LIP. We don't have battles or competitions. It's a very supportive group, it gives us the chance to see and discuss each others work. Most people are digital, but it's not important to the group -- it's the image or the portfolio of images that count.

What do other people think of the independent photography group movement?

Mike

P.S. We're based in Shropshire around Shrewsbury, so if anyone is based in Shropshire, Powis etc. and is interested then give me a pm. We've got an exhibition next month in Shrewsbury. There's a very basic website at http://sites.google.com/site/marches...ntphotography/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlapp View Post
    .....'that's not a competition image'.
    It was hearing a comment similar to this at which the penny dropped for me. Deciding there and then that I have no aspirations to make 'competitive images'. Those that hit the attention like a punch to the solar plexus and after a second or two, similarly leave a vacuum of emotion.

I also found the members incredibly cliquey and so decided to channel my efforts as I liked, shooting scenes which interest me, rather than follow the mindset that has people trying to second guess what some imaginary and arbitrary judge might think and those rules by which (invariably) he, would conjure up a mark.

Subsequently I have found this topic to be the most emotive topic when on Light and Land tours. Few seem to get much enjoyment from the 'Club/Society'.

RPS distinctions are another thorny topic liable to get people going! Durdle Door is apparently a great 'Top Left' shot for a panel....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Baxter,

Do you have a public view on RPS distinctions? I've never really understood the point.

Tom.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Tom

Well....... I have always been perplexed by this perceived need to arrange pictures into a panel. That to increase chances of 'success' it is advisable apparently to have consultations with people 'in the know'. It probably doesn't surprise you that I haven't ever been tempted to expend effort in this manner.

That said, it does seem to motivate some people. The letters after their name acting as a carrot, and no, I do not regard them as Asses! Somehow it seems to drive them on and the cohesive appeal of a panel grabs them. Also the RPS is held by them to be a prestigious organisation.

I went to the RPS print show in Bath a couple of years ago. Some wonderful pictures, and lots of Whistlers. Describing my speed of motion past them rather than any semblance to the wonderful painter.

Anyway let's not hijack the thread. So after a short pause for deviation, hesitation etc its back to Camera Clubs

Shooter
    Large Format
    There are several clubs in our area. The two general purpose clubs are dominated by digital, and seem to be controlled by just a few members. One is all about competitions with your standard PSA judge intoning "profound" cliches. I now avoid both like the plague.

Another more serious "club" tries to combine all aspects of art including photography in their meetings (last meeting was on sketching & sculpture). Unfortunately, most of the photogs in that group seem primarily concerned with Corel Painter. But there have also been some interesting workshops, so there's hope.

Two smaller groups have been helpful - a large format photo group, which has been meeting for over 6 yrs; and a newer alt photo process group. I think specialized groups are of more benefit to long-term growth.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My two hour drive to the Wyandotte Camera Club meetings in Kansas City is worthwhile. We do have competitions, but these are more constructive than cotthroat competative. It is strictly a black & white club, although most members have gone digital. The club recently had its 80 year retrospective exhibit. Other clubs may have more problems with domineering individuals and overblown egos. Perhaps adhering to the traditions (and sometimes innovations) of B&W has a civilizing effect on the Wyandotte Camera Club members. No two clubs are alike. I suggest that anyone should be open to visiting clubs. Little is lost if they aren't satisfying. Much is gained in the right club.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I joined my local club to try to improve my photographic motivation which was somewhat lacking at the time. After a couple of years I have decided that it really is a waste of time as their aesthetic horizons are so limited.

The constant emphasis on competitions also gets a bit wearisome; competition does not improve the breed, especially when the visiting judges share the club's narrow-minded perspective. And now they've all gone digital...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Competitions are good in camera clubs up to a point. They do help you to iron out common faults found as a beginner. The presentation of you work can be improved by seeing other peoples work. You can also learn B&W film development and use the club's darkroom until you can set up your own. These are just some of the positives in belonging to a club. I do know that there are a lot of faults to be found there also. But then nothing is perfect.

Cheers
    Vincent

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin