Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,656   Online: 764

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Clubs "photography"

Morning all, well here in the UK. Who belongs to a photography club, what does it bring, are they any good. Can there be any benefit, beside's the knowlage that can be got. Who has got any thing that has led to a free lance work, or so.

Regards

Graham

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul Hill, the professor of Photography at De Montfort, calls Club photography "Photography as Sport".

Most UK Clubs are almost totally digital now and many members have a very blinkered view of photography. There are ocassional exceptions.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As a local club member I am the only member using film. Nearly all activities are geared toward competitions. The advantage is that there is some opportunity to exhibit your work, in most cases if it has been a competition winner. Nearly all discussion is geared toward digital equipment and most work is landscape with bold emblazened or distorted colours for effect, something of a cliche now. Few competition judges have knowledge of black and white printing and I am generally regarded as something of an oddball for using film. Competition winners are usually those with dedication to photoshop with extensively manipulated images.
    There are occasionally talks given on specific photographic topicsand these can be rewarding.
    This is my club experience anyway.
    Regards
    John.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was a member of our local club for a year, mainly because my father is a founder member. Apart from one other member though, it's all digital.

It got to the point where I was only really going for the tea and biscuits in the interval.

Luckilly I joined a band who's practice night was the same night!

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Roberts View Post
    Competition winners are usually those with dedication to photoshop with extensively manipulated images.
    This is what I found. The competition winners were the two or three people who had become experts in Photoshop.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm a member of my local club and, on the whole, the guest speakers/presentations etc. are rather interesting - last week we had Dave Butcher (ex-Ilford, shoots landscapes on MF B&W _film_), last night we had an 'A/V' presentation from 35mm slides...

BUT! There are only 3 of use (from a membership of 75 or so) who still use film, most having succumbed to the lure of digital. Most of the members are also retired folk (although this year we have had an influx of younger members), who are new(ish) to computers and still enjoy (over)processing their pictures in Photoshop. Most of the members have grown up with film, and can still offer good advice (even though they think you're mad for sticking with it!).

As for competitions, I have found it to be useful to get a different perspective on photographs (although I did get a cup last year for a 35mm slide )

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am a member of a club - although I never go now. Don't like that most of them are digital but most of all I hate the blinkered view they have of images. I once entered a Vandyke and was told 'that's not a competition image'. Well, sorrrrrreee.
    Now meet some like minded film-based photogs on an informal basis as The Camera club [continuing] where we discuss images and the like - have Wet-collodion snaps taken by a visiting Carl Radford and generally enjoy ourselves over a glass of wine or three.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by namke View Post
    although I did get a cup last year for a 35mm slide
    I keep mine in boxes!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The club I belong to is small. It was a part of a communtity college that had a analog photography program that was dropped recently. There are a few members left. How much longer it will last will be seen. It is sign of the times.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Clubs are....well, clubs. They have rules, spoken or unspoken, and ways of deciding who's "in" and who's not. The danger is, especially if you are not very confident and/or just beginning, they can be undermining, if you don't fit. You are much better off finding a few people whose judgment you respect and trust. Then, test the water in the "real" world if you want wider feedback. If you're joining one already in existence try to find one where the emphasis is on supporting each other in finding you own voice rather than fitting in to some group idea of the norm. To be honest I'm well off any sort of club mentality, however, I think finding people with whom you can foster an atmosphere of creative support and encouragement can be invaluable. After all none of us - or almost none of us - can work, or wish to work, in a vacuum.
    As for my own experience - about ten years ago I did meet with some people (through a part-time course we had done) regularly for about a year and that was invaluable experience for me. No competitons, but we worked on individual projects. It didn't lead to work, but it gave me the interest and confidence to study photography formally a few years later.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin