Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,399   Online: 813

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aurum
    I can understand the urge to splash out on brand new sparkly kit, but I resist it and build up my collection piece by piece instead

Very wise. But I would have gone for the T90, and speaking from experience (1988-1990) it's a gem. That model remains sought after by collectors and devoted celluloid officionados alike. Even I'm looking for one to play with...
    Nice, but popular means pricey.Scaring on ebay UK The T70, is a little too programmed for my liking, but with the original Canon 70-210 glass on it, I can live with that. I've been rattling off frames of wildlife in the garden. A few more to finish the film then dev and print time.

Its a hard life sometimes
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My latest purchase arrived today. My wife okay'd it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my905.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

F6 !

Quote Originally Posted by nsouto View Post
    Spent 1500 on a F6 two months ago.
    And I don't regret it one bit! Worth every cent of the price.
    I would spend it on a F6 if O could affort it...

Buying 2nd hand Nikons F65,etc and glass doesn't brake the bank that much:rolleyes:

R

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This spring I spent about $1000 Canadian on an old Hassie system, and about $50 on a much newer Minolta.
    So, spend as little as possible but not more than its worth. Or you think its worth.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    That's tough to answer as there are all the factors... how much you have available, the state of prices (new or used) and the format you want, how you will use it, not to mention how influenced you are by branding. I have gotten good bargains and some klinkers, but at all times... I wanted it and saw myself using it. Otherwise you're a collector.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Depends on what it is. Recently $300 on a good working Nikon F4s, $1400 on a gorgeousTachihara 4x5 with three lenses an aluminium case and 20 odd film holders, and $75 for a functional Speed Graphic and Heiland flash attachment. All for using not for looking at. Most ever - $2,100 for my first F5 body back in 1998.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Budget

I'm able to budget up to $1200 USD per year on camera purchases for my photography business. I can either buy a new fancy digital body every two years, or a lesser digital every year, or stretch as lesser digital three years and get whatever I want the other two years.

As film is getting back to being an important part of my business, I can justify spending whatever I need to on this technology. As I really haven't invested additional monies in film gear since 1993, if I got something, I'd have to sell something to get it. My kit got very very refined through the years with very little dross.

Through the generosity of others, I've been actually acquiring some pretty high-end stuff for little to no money. However, I know that I'm going to spend a chunk of change on some fancy flashgear and motordrives before the next shooting season opens.

As I budget/balance everything and it has to earn its keep, professionally, I do calculate the cost of digital gear and the cost-savings by being able to skip a year or two in replacement/upgrade cycles is able to fund the purchase of some nice film gear. But I do try to keep things interchangeable with digital as much as possible so there is little to no duplication.

As to the cost of film and processing? I typically pass those costs onto the client anyway, so there is little cost advantage to me to shoot digital.

Yet, for professional photographers (both fulltime and parttime), it really is hard going to shoot film anymore. And one must be VERY patient when getting film-technology items because as long as you are not in a hurry to acquire, you can get stuff cheep or free.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Spend $275 on a F5 a few months ago!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Confused

I have spent over 8000 UK Pounds over the last 18 months getting into LF and am still going, although at a slower rate now I have most of the stuff I need and want.

I could have done it for less - a lot less - but as an amateur with a hobby I don’t have to do the value for money business thing.

I plan on using this stuff for the next 25 years – so cost per year is pretty low.

Most of the stuff I bought new and only a few choice pieces second hand

I don’t always understand you guys:-

• On one hand you are all for bragging about how you picked up item X for almost nothing second hand

• And on the other you are bemoaning the fact that manufacturers are getting out of film and film cameras

If we want to have a viable film and film camera industry in the future then the choice is in our hands.

We either buy brand new stuff and support the manufacturers or we don’t and they either go to the wall or go somewhere else.

It’s our choice.

But we cannot have it both ways

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken N View Post
    Yet, for professional photographers (both fulltime and parttime), it really is hard going to shoot film anymore. And one must be VERY patient when getting film-technology items because as long as you are not in a hurry to acquire, you can get stuff cheep or free.
    Yes, so sadly true. I won't invest in any film cameras for active shooting (save for collecting a couple i.e. Olympus OM 4, Canon T90) as E6 is becoming tedious and drawn out to process, with the turnaround now 4 to 5 days locally (1 hour in pro labs, but add $20.00 fuel, 2.5 hours return travel and a heap of traffic hassles). Even C-41 processing is now a tenth of what it was locally than 4 years ago. I am not weakening in my resolve to continue shooting Velvia for as long as I desire, I just do not like the idea that film should be summarily shoved aside for the stormtrooping 'God' that is digital, with its many inherent faults and failings. Where are we going?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin