Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,704   Online: 810

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

How much would you spend on a film camera, today?

Considering the state of the world and the current state of the film and darkroom materials, how much would you spend on a film camera?

Just curious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't go much past $350 for a film body, lens not much more.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What about a high class body like nikon f5 / f6

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    david

it would all depend on what kind of camera it happened to be.

john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well...
    I have purchased a very high dollar medium format camera and I am thrilled to own it.

But I am wondering if I am just plain stupid or if others would have done the same thing.

I don't want to declare the price or the camera, at least not until Wednesday when it arrives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, earlier this year I spent $200 on a CLA'd Perkeo II for traveling light -- so I guess I'd go that far.

I have some still-working Canon FD gear but am considering picking up an EOS-something body to share lenses with recently acquired "alternate technology." Alas, given the current plummeting state of my retirement nest egg, that will likely be on hold a while. I would think $300 to $400 wouldn't be out of line for that. By the time I've added accessories and spares, I've probably got at least twice that amount in the Bronica SQ-A I cobbled together in 2006.

DaveT

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I spent 3000 on a Rolleiflex last year, and I love it, but if I had known how bad this year was going to be I probably wouldn't have.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It would all depend, as John says. I'd spend $1250 on the Bessa III, if it comes out in that price range. I just bought a ULF lens for $750. I recently spent $1200 on a set of 31 8x10" Mido filmholders. I'm pretty much set for film cameras these days (ten at last count, all users), but who knows what might come along.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For purely functional cameras, about 1.000 € is the limit and that auction house is the source. But don't temp me with a Leica MP LHSA in Hammertone lest i forget myself ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would spend a good deal. Prob. up to around $1,800 or so for a nice Sinar P2 8x10, although I am hoping to just get the back end and bellows for much less. I will spend money on film cameras as long as I think I will actually shoot with them, and as long as film is made. I am looking to purchase in the next several years a couple of EOS film bodies (3s, 1Vs, 1Ns, 1N-RSs). I am also planning on purchasing an RB, as well as a more modern M645 body, like a Pro or Pro TL. Eventually I would like to get rid of my B&J Grover 8x10 and get an 8x10 back end for my Sinar 4x5 instead. I might even go ahead and just sell it now. The new Fuji folder interests me. So does the Fly Blackbird Fly. I would not pay as much as is being asked for either of the last two I mentioned, however. If the FBF comes down to under $100, fine. If there ever was a time to buy used film cameras, now is it!

The state of film has nothing to do with how much I would spend. The camera's bang for the buck and probable frequency of use would matter. If they get rid of any more color films, I might just have to leave a flaming bag on their doorstep, however....They have cut pretty much everything they can cut without simply giving up completely. We have several kinds of Velvia, two kinds of Provia, one Astia, one tungsten, and four Pro color neg emulsions left. I cant see any of these being cut while still being able to claim that they offer a film for every need. It is totally frustrating to me that they offer a few Velvias (which I very rarely desire), but they have no high speed tungsten film (which I desire pretty much 75% of the time that I shoot).
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 10-27-2008 at 12:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin