Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,890   Posts: 1,520,844   Online: 1158

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Apo -- "n-word" -- unacceptable slang word used to describe someone with (non-Arab) African ancestry
    "The sherrif is a n-BONG!!!

"What'd he say?"

He says the sherrif is near!"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    "The sherrif is a n-BONG!!!

"What'd he say?"

He says the sherrif is near!"
    "Blazing Saddles", 1974, right?

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ..oh-man the stories i could tell you from my collage 1hr days[when it all just started]....we all had to start somewhere..

like the time a lady brought in her 110 camera, i loaded the film, took the negs to the printer machine.. I noted some big clear looking spots on the negs.. the prints come out and there is big shadowed roaches crawling over Jr's face... baby roaches walking on the film while mom was taking her 110 photo's... my recommendations on the envelope... fumigate camera.

@ another 1hr high volume shop, night shift while in collage in NYC, we were right next to the county morgue. the head coroner would shoot all his autopsies. you cant imagine how people die and what we do to each other....

..or how about; ....woops! I dropped my roll of film.. will it be out of focus??

..the mid 80's was it for me and 1hr photo... full circle however, now i'm back in the lab, going on 11 years.

dw

Quote Originally Posted by bob100684 View Post
    1) Clearing a paper jam in the blix rack only to have the rack slip out of your hand and contaminate the developer.
    2) "Do I have to use matte film for matte prints?"
    3)(at a consumer lab) "Why can't you print this, It's just negatives?"...disc film.
    4) Customer coming in with a roll of film entirely pulled from the cassette, wondering if we can "save" it for them.
    5) How can you call yourselves a one hour photo if you can't process all these rolls in an hour? Our print processor, if put into full auto mode using 6" wide paper can do 18 rolls an hour....not a shopping bag full of film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    "Blazing Saddles", 1974, right?

Vaughn
    Disco.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Disco.
    Pulp Fiction, 1994

Shooter
    35mm
    never got autopsies, got some crime scene photos, one of a guy who's head was now a puddle of jello, plastic surgeons, eye surgeons...that stuff was nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by dr5chrome View Post
    ..oh-man the stories i could tell you from my collage 1hr days[when it all just started]....we all had to start somewhere..

like the time a lady brought in her 110 camera, i loaded the film, took the negs to the printer machine.. I noted some big clear looking spots on the negs.. the prints come out and there is big shadowed roaches crawling over Jr's face... baby roaches walking on the film while mom was taking her 110 photo's... my recommendations on the envelope... fumigate camera.

@ another 1hr high volume shop, night shift while in collage in NYC, we were right next to the county morgue. the head coroner would shoot all his autopsies. you cant imagine how people die and what we do to each other....

..or how about; ....woops! I dropped my roll of film.. will it be out of focus??

..the mid 80's was it for me and 1hr photo... full circle however, now i'm back in the lab, going on 11 years.

dw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Our units in the USAF were charged with taking forensic photos of every accident or death on our base or involving AF people. As such, I have seen some photos that still haunt me. These things should be forgotten! At least that is my feeling. Many more accidents take place on military bases than you might expect. Almost all of them had to go across my desk for approval for release to the Military Police.

I can relate to "Ducky" somewhat. (call or write about this one if it is obscure to you )

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Been there, done them all and then some. My favorite, or one of them..
    APS film where the guy hit the panoramic button on his camera. All his pictures came out as 4x8 or 4x12, whatever. He was surprised at the price of his prints. Very surprised. He then asked me to 'print them right'. So I ask him "You want them cropped or you want a border?" He said neither. After nearly arguing with him and giving him a lesson on proportions and basic math, he decided to crop. Then we felt we f*&*&ed up again as the prints were 'grainy'. Asshole.

Also the lady with the 1970s photo portrait that had been painted over.. Wanted a reproduction and 'digital touch up'. I fixed it. I fixed all the black sharpie marks on the knife stabs. Then she accused me of marking her original up with a sharpie. She fought with me, saying I touched up her original and did a sloppy job (I scanned the f&*^*&ng ugly thing in photoshop and printed a new one, never touched the original).

Or the lady who had ugly art on slide film.. had it shot by a 'professional'. After I ran her slide film she flipped out because the guy didn't crop it tight enough and you could see boom arms and light boxes, etc.
    She blamed me, said I introduced these errors while processing.
    After at least 5 phone calls and screaming with the guy who shot them.. the poor guy calls me and apologizes to be and says that she is a picky youknowwhat and has no idea what she is doing.

I find it funny that people thing we can magically add things to negatives and slide film, both pre and post exposure aside from dust, scratches and gross erroneous exposure.

I loved the job. And I absolutely hated the job and the people.
    But the guy with the Wisner and the guy with the collection of MF folders who eagerly showed them to me made it worth it. Also the free minty Crown Graphic. Oooh.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Seattle Film/PhotoWorks is the scourge of my existence. "Why can't you develop my film?" and then the inevitable "Well just try.." and 75% of the time it comes out looking like I rubbed the film on asphalt.

I was a photoshop master. Swapping heads, adding things, taking them out. Adding people to pictures, etc. The most gratifying ones were the ones that went on tombstones. Those will be there forever. I liked doing the dead people ones.

I also sold 150-200mm canon ef lenses or whatever, the cheap ones.. The ticket to selling them is that "You can take pictures of deer from far away with this". I sold so many of those using that line.

I was doing work that cost $50-75 an hour and got paid $8 an hour. I think the place is going under anyhow. Sad, the camera repairman who has been associated with the place for like 40 years knew the whole story. Ran the black and white side, had/has the last working kodak print processor from the 60s or 70s (the folks at kodak told him this).I believe it as he had the thing jerry-rigged with parts from noritsu and chrysler I swear.. Finally kodak discontinued the developer-incorporated paper and he couldn't get Ilford to work, which is when he decided to retire.

Went from 50+ rolls a week to 2 a week of black and white. Ah well. Sorry to blab on..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Our units in the USAF were charged with taking forensic photos of every accident or death on our base or involving AF people. As such, I have seen some photos that still haunt me. These things should be forgotten! At least that is my feeling. Many more accidents take place on military bases than you might expect. Almost all of them had to go across my desk for approval for release to the Military Police.

I can relate to "Ducky" somewhat. (call or write about this one if it is obscure to you )

PE
    NCIS
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin