Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,760   Online: 971

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

DT separations

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Terrence;

I'm surprised at that. AFAIK, HC110 was never recommended for use with DT separations.

PE
    I can certainly believe you. I don't remember now, almost 30 years later, why we used that combination. I do remember that we were told to use Super-XX (not Plus-X, Tri-X or any other sheet film), and the developer recommended by our lab & studio instructor may well have been DK-50. We might have chosen HC-110 only because we were out of DK-50, and we didn't have the funds or the time to get more.

BTW, I still have all of my old notes, separation negatives, matrices, and in the case of DT prints from transparencies, the highlight masks, and my DT prints as well. I also have the report I generated, complete with the grade I received, a "B."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Terrence;

Super-XX was the recommended film at that time for making separation negatives both in-camera and on-easel. So that part was totally normal to me. I have all of my separation negatives and matrices as well, such as they are. I was never a good DT printer, but I did love doing it.

PE

Shooter
    35mm

Dye Transfer

We also had to do a dye development project in sensitometry class. We made three in-camera separation negatives, and contacted each one onto a sheet of Fine Grain Positive film, which was dye developed the appropriate colour. All of the chemicals were made from "scratch," and I shall never forget when we were mixing the magenta developer; the last step involved mixing two colourless liquids, which gave us a brilliant magenta-coloured dye!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I have suggested this method here as a way to Kodachrome type results. That is actually what "Kodachrome" is all about.

PE

Shooter
    35mm

"Restoration"

Ha..now I think of a time this older lady brought in a print she wanted restored. It was completely black, but had not been so originally. Guess it was a dye deterioration or wash or fix issue. Regardless, she insisted that there was a picture there! We attempted to explain to her that restoration can only occur if there is an image to restore, but she would not have it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by spotulate View Post
    Ha..now I think of a time this older lady brought in a print she wanted restored. It was completely black, but had not been so originally. Guess it was a dye deterioration or wash or fix issue. Regardless, she insisted that there was a picture there! We attempted to explain to her that restoration can only occur if there is an image to restore, but she would not have it.
    someone came in with BWCN(c-41 black and white). An hour later, she was extremely angry that we "took all the color" out of her prints.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I always used to get green tinted pictures back from XP2 until I went to get a film back from one this one guy who used to work there who said, oh we had to print yours again because they came out all green, I made sure they came out more neutral the second time by doing them B&W, so from that day on I specifically ask for XP2 to be converted to B&W, even though it already is.

This is what I got recently while Handing over a roll of XP2
    me "Can you convert it too B&W"
    Tech "It already is Black and White"
    Me "yeah but convert it anyway"
    Tech "you know we can't print a B&W white film and make it colour"
    Me "Yes I know that, but you know when someone brings you a colour film and says can I have it in Black and White"
    Tech "yeah"
    me "well just ignore the fact its already B&W and do that other wise it will come out green and white"

I came back only to get 36 green toned prints, although the guy I spoke too wasn't there, I wanted to shout at him "ARE YOU RETARDED"?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    prints taken from the fix, quickly rinsed and put on the drying racks (because "they are only test prints"), and that sort of things.

Vaughn
    I don't properly fix test strips either, they only end up in the bin anyway, does it make a difference?
    Last edited by ajuk; 11-06-2008 at 06:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
    I don't properly fix test strips either, they only end up in the bin anyway, does it make a difference?
    The problem is with the "quick" rinse - it leaves fixer on the test strips, which transfers to the drying racks, and eventually to the other prints.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back in my Air Force photo lab days, most of the prints we did were 5x7's. These were printed 8x10 paper that was cut in half in the darkroom, then after drying the extra inch was cut off on a monster guillotine cutter. One day when we had an unusually high volume, one of the guys cutting prints got the tip of his finger under the blade in the rush.

Fortunately, the damage wasn't permanent. I don't remember which finger it was now, there is no scar to remind me, and all my fingers are the right length.
    :o

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    New mom. Picks up her fifteen rolls of baby pics, which she has printed triple prints. First, spreads them out over the entire counter at the register. Then, proceeds to sort through them, getting them confused (how could she not?), holds up two copies of the same image (not that it would have made a difference as all the pics are the same anyway), and asks, "Which do you like better? I'm thinking of getting one of them enlarged!".

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin