Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,541   Online: 1063
      
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 81
  1. #61

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,089
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The problem is with the "quick" rinse - it leaves fixer on the test strips, which transfers to the drying racks, and eventually to the other prints.

    Matt
    Oh right, Never done that!

  2. #62

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    509
    hard to believe, but there is SOME(not much) thought required in printing a b/w film on a minilab. At least on a frontier, if the film is real b/w you must change the imput to b/w negative. If it's xp2 or bwcn, "image corrections"-->monotone correct-->B/W......then setting the "tone adjust" to "all hard" works best. A lot of lab techs just shrug their shoulders at green/blue/any other colored print, and its sad b/c two or 3 mouse clicks and they'd have a happy customer.

    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
    I always used to get green tinted pictures back from XP2 until I went to get a film back from one this one guy who used to work there who said, oh we had to print yours again because they came out all green, I made sure they came out more neutral the second time by doing them B&W, so from that day on I specifically ask for XP2 to be converted to B&W, even though it already is.

    This is what I got recently while Handing over a roll of XP2
    me "Can you convert it too B&W"
    Tech "It already is Black and White"
    Me "yeah but convert it anyway"
    Tech "you know we can't print a B&W white film and make it colour"
    Me "Yes I know that, but you know when someone brings you a colour film and says can I have it in Black and White"
    Tech "yeah"
    me "well just ignore the fact its already B&W and do that other wise it will come out green and white"

    I came back only to get 36 green toned prints, although the guy I spoke too wasn't there, I wanted to shout at him "ARE YOU RETARDED"?


    I don't properly fix test strips either, they only end up in the bin anyway, does it make a difference?

  3. #63
    CBG
    CBG is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The problem is with the "quick" rinse - it leaves fixer on the test strips, which transfers to the drying racks, and eventually to the other prints.
    Matt
    Hmmmm, Nothing but a fully washed print should ever touch anything other than the tray, my hands which should get washed after, the sink, or the trash can. Poorly washed test strips should be treated as toxic waste - just as if they were just taken out of the fix and utterly unwashed.

    C

  4. #64
    Vaughn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Humboldt Co.
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    4,647
    Images
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
    I don't properly fix test strips either, they only end up in the bin anyway, does it make a difference?
    Our beginning students keep their test strips to show the teachers.

    Keeping the screens dry in a community darkroom can be a challenge. We have a holding tray in the darkroom for prints that have gone thru the process and waiting for the wash. Time in the holding tray does not count towards wash times (since prints are being added to it ).

    Outside the darkroom, we have the print washer, and next to that, a viewing board for unwashed prints (white, sloped -- stick your wet unwashed print on it and stand back to view it...it is marked "Unwashed Prints Only!)

    A gal came out of the darkroom, put her print on the viewing board, grabbed a squeegee from the print washer and dipped the squeegee into the rain gutter under the viewing board (to catch fix, etc). She then squeegeed her print and grabbed it and headed for the drying screens. Since I was standing right there, I stopped her in time and had to explain in very simple terms why she could not put that filthy mess on the screens.

    She was upset that she had to wash her print.

    Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Sarajevo
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by bob100684 View Post
    3)(at a consumer lab) "Why can't you print this, It's just negatives?"...disc film.
    This one made me think how angry would you be if one day you bring roll of 35mm film in lab and they look you in wonder "when this become obsolete..."

    If your lab don't process disc film because noone use it anymore, you make pattern of what to except one day if you come in soeone 's lab with yours 35mm or 120/220 or LF...

    That is, just for thinking: Why disc film is and can be obsolete and 35mm/MF/LF can't and shouldn't?
    Last edited by haris; 11-08-2008 at 11:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

  6. #66
    Aurum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Landrover Central UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    923
    Quote Originally Posted by bob100684 View Post
    hard to believe, but there is SOME(not much) thought required in printing a b/w film on a minilab. At least on a frontier, if the film is real b/w you must change the imput to b/w negative. If it's xp2 or bwcn, "image corrections"-->monotone correct-->B/W......then setting the "tone adjust" to "all hard" works best. A lot of lab techs just shrug their shoulders at green/blue/any other colored print, and its sad b/c two or 3 mouse clicks and they'd have a happy customer.
    When I first started putting XP2 through minilabs, always got a sepia effect which I didn't have a problem with. Looks cool.

    These days the labs I use must have better cast correction, 'cos I rarely if ever see this these days
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Horsham, PA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by haris View Post
    That is, just for thinking: Why disc film is and can be obsolete and 35mm/MF/LF can't and shouldn't?
    Simple. Disc film can be obsolete because it was different. Almost every film since the introduction of the 135 cassette has been based upon a previously existing film size. 126 was 35mm. 110, 16mm. Disc was too unique to provide for extended use. In fact, even in its heyday, few locations did Disc processing. The advantage to roll and sheet film formats is that if you have an 8x10 sheet film enlarger, one could theoretically enlarge a 110 negative. With Disc, one needs a Disc enlarger.


    And now for a story of my own: Overheard at my local lab...
    Customer (investigating her pictures): Oooh! I like how you put the negatives in these little plastic sleeves!
    Lab Tech: Ma'am, those aren't...
    C: Hey! Where are my pictures?
    LT: Ma'am, I am trying to tell you, those are your pictures.
    C: No, these are my negatives, where are my pictures!!!
    LT: Ma'am, what you used was slide film. Those are your pictures. Hold one up to the light and...
    C: NO! I DID NOT USE NO G*DD**N SLIDE FILM! NOW WHERE THE F**K ARE MY PICTURES!
    LT: If you want prints, I can make them. HOwever, they can be a little expensive, so I reccomend you tell me...
    C: I DON'T GIVE A SHIT! GIVE ME MY MOTHERF****NG PICTURES!
    LT: Very well, if that's what you want. They should be ready in about two days.

  8. #68
    Poohblah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    433
    she seems a little too belligerent to be true...!

  9. #69

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    509
    what do you mean my 8x10 from my digital camera is cropped? What about film, y cant you just squish it like you did film? my film shots were never cropped"


    Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    Simple. Disc film can be obsolete because it was different. Almost every film since the introduction of the 135 cassette has been based upon a previously existing film size. 126 was 35mm. 110, 16mm. Disc was too unique to provide for extended use. In fact, even in its heyday, few locations did Disc processing. The advantage to roll and sheet film formats is that if you have an 8x10 sheet film enlarger, one could theoretically enlarge a 110 negative. With Disc, one needs a Disc enlarger.


    And now for a story of my own: Overheard at my local lab...
    Customer (investigating her pictures): Oooh! I like how you put the negatives in these little plastic sleeves!
    Lab Tech: Ma'am, those aren't...
    C: Hey! Where are my pictures?
    LT: Ma'am, I am trying to tell you, those are your pictures.
    C: No, these are my negatives, where are my pictures!!!
    LT: Ma'am, what you used was slide film. Those are your pictures. Hold one up to the light and...
    C: NO! I DID NOT USE NO G*DD**N SLIDE FILM! NOW WHERE THE F**K ARE MY PICTURES!
    LT: If you want prints, I can make them. HOwever, they can be a little expensive, so I reccomend you tell me...
    C: I DON'T GIVE A SHIT! GIVE ME MY MOTHERF****NG PICTURES!
    LT: Very well, if that's what you want. They should be ready in about two days.

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,089
    Images
    2
    I want to get a job in a lab so I can make 2 huge enlargements one from my digi compact and one from my film compact (well a Canonet QL17 GIII) next to a sign that says enlargements from film and digital!



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin