Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,115   Online: 1144

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    Simple. Disc film can be obsolete because it was different. Almost every film since the introduction of the 135 cassette has been based upon a previously existing film size. 126 was 35mm. 110, 16mm. Disc was too unique to provide for extended use. In fact, even in its heyday, few locations did Disc processing. The advantage to roll and sheet film formats is that if you have an 8x10 sheet film enlarger, one could theoretically enlarge a 110 negative. With Disc, one needs a Disc enlarger.

Actually Beseler made a neg carrier for disc film. I had one once and cut it up for an odd format film. It had a round hole for the hub of the disc next to the aperture for the image. I suppose you just rotate the disc to the desired image and print. I saw an article once showing how to process the disc film stuck on a pencil eraser and chucked into a drill. You would dip it in cupfuls of chems and spin it up slow for agitation then after washing a high speed spin to dry.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohblah View Post
    she seems a little too belligerent to be true...!
    Oh, if only you knew... She was a duty monitor in my high school, but she "resigned" after a rumor circulated that she hit a kid. That rumor was never proven, but she did leave after the allegations started getting worse.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohblah View Post
    she seems a little too belligerent to be true...!
    You wouldn't think that if you'd worked in a 1 hour lab...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Silber View Post
    You wouldn't think that if you'd worked in a 1 hour lab...
    ugh....one hour labs SUCK to work at.........well no....they're awesome to work at, but holy crap some customers can ruin your day in a hurry.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "The Customer is never wrong"

True

But they can be beligerant, mis-informed, and a PITA!
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why did it become necessary to remind me of minilabs? AAARgh!

I didn't even own a camera, came from motion picture editing, fell on hard times and ended up as a casual in a minilab, part of a chain, which was a preview of hell, ruled by a fool of a manager who established discounts for all the local suppliers who fed him, drycleaned his clothes, extracted his teeth etc. (we had to remember all these unofficial contras when charging out).

He also had an eye for women--apart from those who worked for him--and sat one object of his lust at the printer for one day, disregarding her absolute lack of knowledge of what she was doing (it took 2 days to reprint every roll, after she left).

He spent another whole day attempting to print B/W from a roll of colour neg., once more for a woman he fancied, of course no other work was done that day and the customers were livid.

The shop was at the top of a staircase leading to a commuter railway station, and the layout of the 2 doors was a perfect shortcut for the endless stream of dusty, gritty feet of non-customers every peak hour.

I'm afraid that this stressful situation did lead me to 1) tell some poor soul to "Fxxk off to the Kodak minilab" and 2) to walk out on him at a busy time of day.

The chain management finally sacked everyone at the branch (not exactly fairly, some were quite competent) but not me, because I wasn't there at the time (see previous paragraph).

I'm not sure whether Kodak appreciated my endorsement; I imagine that the sacked women employees appreciated not having to follow company policy of wearing high heels on tile floors 8 hours a day.

It's not just the clients!

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
    "The Customer is never wrong"

True

But they can be beligerant, mis-informed, and a PITA!
    I assure you, customers are almost always wrong when it comes to film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ran out of C41 chemistry.
    Ran to target, with a bunch of bulk loaded cassettes.
    They call me later asking why they were blank. I told them I load my film into it.
    They call me another hour later saying they "called" kodak. (they have a noritsu)
    Apparently bulk load film isn't c41...
    It's from my 100' roll of Kodak 400UC.
    I am now on their "don't process for them" list. :[

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had that one, and a lab that refused to process my XP2 because it wasnt colour film. I explained it to them several times, and then they got a film picker and pulled the leader out and told me it was the wrong colour and it'd ruin their machine.
    Haven't been back there since.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "This job would be so cool if it wasnt for the damn customers"

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin