Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,699   Online: 909

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your light box

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the PortaTrace box and it's easy to carry around but the box I built many years ago still is my best. I made a wood box dadoed for the top and put in two color corrected lights. I got the bulbs at a GE supplier and the top from a plastics distributor. I must have gotten it right the first time. Like Ken with 8x10 negatives a larger box is required. My ideal light box would be two by four or five foot unit on a stand like the commercial photo labs have, or had.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Curt,

We have a local (Cleveland, OH) Amish printing equipment salvage company. 2-3 years ago four of us bought six light tables. I bought a B. Bacher (German) Control Litho metal light table model 1669 that has a 25” x 49” viewing area. Illumination is by three tubes through frosted glass. I haven’t had to take it apart to see what the tubes are. The table will raise or lower or tilt from flat to vertical, lockable at any point. I paid either $30 or $35, can’t remember. It can compare up to six 7x17 negatives at a time.

Try to find a salvage yard that carries printing equipment. This one tries to sell specialty items to individuals, but most is turned into scrap metal and shipped to India. That makes me sick and I have already bought five pieces from them. They have been so appreciative that they have given me all the envelopes I will use for life. My wife teaches First Grade. She says the art paper they have given us will probably last, 18 six year olds, two years.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a couple Cabin (they don't make these any more) 11x14 slimline light panels. Very thin (less than 3/4 inch thick), very easy to carry - more so than the bigger and bulkier Hakuba, PortaTrace, Gepe or Just brands, IMO. I wish they still made these.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use a Dell 9300 17" Laptop. Works pretty good, but I do wish I had a lightbox again!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Knox Acculight. It's a big beautiful thing that can sit flat or upright (as pictured). I found it at a local camera shop in perfect condition for $75. I couldn't pass that up. I can fit 10 - 8x10 negs on it at the same time. The owner of the shop didn't want to be bothered trying to ship it. I'll bet there are quite a few good deals on these things out there... I know our local newspaper also got rid of something similar rather cheaply.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lighttable.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I were going to make one of these, how would I diffuse the light in order not to get hotspots. I know about frosted glass, but what about a diffusing system for the bulbs?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin