Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,845   Online: 846

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Anyone Doing Super 8 Movies?

This is all I need - being intrigued by another genre of photography. But here goes anyway:

Anyone doing Super 8 movies? If so, how about a quick discussion on pros/cons, cameras & equipment, resources for learning.

It looks like fun and a challenge.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'll find a lot of good info at cinematography.com, they have a Super 8 section there. I've also found there is a huge amount of info all over the 'net, as long as you have some specific bit of info you want to find out about it's easy to search for it with good results.
    I've been shooting Super 8 & Single 8 (Fuji's version of Super 8) for a year or so. I've been trying all sorts of film stock from Kodachrome to B&W, colour reversal & colour neg. Results are generally pleasing although the biggest problem I've seen is image jumping. Not sure if that's a camera issue or film cartridge.
    You're lucky if you're in the USA as there are plenty of places you can deal with for stock, processing & telecine if you require that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Goldie. What's being used for sound recording these days?
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I only do silent stuff, I don't think anyone uses Super 8 for sound anymore.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The last Super 8 I shot was in 1972, I still have my Canon movie camera.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I shot my first roll of super-8 just a few weeks ago...
    http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=YaE0Rt7vsnM
    Shot with a Nikon Super-Zoom 8 I bought at a garage sale a few years ago, only just got around to it. Here in Australia, a cartridge of film is $24, plus $35 for processing, plus $20 for telecine, plus postage tossed in here and there. So you're looking at about $80-$100, Australian, for 3 minutes of footage. I'll do it again, and have another roll half finished, but the cost is inhibitive on my budget.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a Super8 camera (Braun Nizo) but I've not done anything with it in anger yet... It does have a purpose - I intend to record some film when I do my photographic rail trip across Europe/Russia, however said trip is currently on indefinite credit-crunch related hold.

The one thing that will make me use it more in the meantime is if I can find an 8mm film processing tank. Super8 processing is outrageously expensive, and I'm not minded to 'experiment' at current prices. I might try the old 'smash the cartridge with a hammer, stuff the film in an ordinary tank, and hope' approach to processing for the timebeing...
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I have a Canon super-8 camera, and I shot a few B/W rolls, several years ago, while on a weekend road trip around New Mexico. I also have a projector; seeing fresh-from-the-lab film projected on the silver screen is a real treat. I need to get a few more rolls and get out with it again.

Part of the technique of super-8 that's different from shooting video is that I am conscious of the 3 minute length to each cartridge; meaning that scenes are much crisper, more intentionally thought out than with video, where you just "hose the crowd down." I'm also aware of the possibility of montage with super-8, which is an assemblage of short, concise scenes that interrelate to tell a story. And all without sound. Challenging but fun, for sure.

~Joe
    Last edited by Joe VanCleave; 11-02-2008 at 06:21 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Writing is 90% editing

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been doing a bit with a Beaulieu 4008. Super-8 sound film is no longer made, so if you want to do live sound, you need to record it separately and sync it. I haven't gotten that far yet, but there are some sites with good info about recording sound, like http://www.super8sync.com/English/home_e.html .

Filmshooting.com is kind of the APUG of Super-8, with lots of info about small gauge film making, but in fact, a lot of the new interest in Super-8 is connected to the possibilities made available through telecine and digital editing. You can still do it the old fashioned way, though, and there are people who do. Also look at www.onsuper8.org for lots of info and links to other Super-8 sites.

Here's a site with some info on processing your own Super-8-- http://www.city-net.com/~fodder/hand/index.html

There's more out there. I've got my Lomo film tank, but haven't processed my own yet. Reversal chemistry I can manage, but loading the thing looks like a challenge.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 11-02-2008 at 06:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do B&W reversal Standard-8. The advantage is being able to use the Bolex cameras that are nearly identical to the 16mm versions, and the film channel holds the film flatter. Of course, the film image is a little smaller. http://www.apug.org/forums/forum45/5...ex-anyone.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin