Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,193   Online: 859

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ballheads...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    What about an old Linhof tripod with a big LF camera ballhead? What you ask for is either a $1,000 Gitzo tripod with a $500 ballhead (3 Kilos) or a $50 veteran (5 -10 kilos). Save the money and give some change to the bellman.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Now I know why Velbon calls its tripod series "Sherpa" :-)

Maybe that is an option, will look into that. And in a few months I could buy a Gitzo from an unemployed wallstreet broker or GM manager...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Every time I post a response like this there is a rapid volley of "you really need to spend $300 on a ball head to get a good one."

Let me just say this: me too (with the exception that I hang a slightly different MF SLR on mine).
    You don't have to spend $300 on a ball head - as long as your willing to buy another ball head every five years. That's what I did - once. So I bit the bullet and bought a RRS head that should last a lifetime.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The problem with long lenses and small heads is that they are balancing, 'touching' at only one, tiny contact point. The slightest disturbance, and it will swing, pivoting around that point. No matter how hard the thing is fastened, or how hefty the (ball) head.
    You need a big (in size) head, with more than just one point of support, to keep such things still.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin