Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,782   Online: 730

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Simple software for darkroom adventures

Hi.
    I wrote a small application for keeping track of my development combinations that may be of interest to some of you. It has a timer (with agitation information) and a simple database and works on most operating systems (it's written in Java, but I've tried to get it to look native on both Mac and Windows) (screenshots available here: http://nilemada.com/?page_id=88 )

Please have a go if you want: http://nilemada.com/?page_id=7

(the price is of course 0, but I would appreciate if you send me error reports if you find some problems).

BR
    Sverrir

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very cool. Thanks.

I don't have a computer in the darkroom, but it's a nice way to store development data and notes. This would be great with one of the new netbooks in the darkroom.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can you make the space bar a toggle to pause the timer manually?

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Lee.
    You can almost do that today, (using either space or enter/return buttons together with tab to move around).
    I will however in next release make the start/stop buttons into one button so that toggling will be much easier using space or enter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Why not doing it red tones, like a safelight... I am not sure if it could be done, but would be interesting for paper process+notes...
    However, I wonder if a computer screen, let's say an LCD screen can effectively project only the correct wavelenght to prevent paper fog...

Kris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could be re-inventing the wheel.

There's an excellent program Dlab/Wlab which does the same and an awful lot more. Sorry i don't want to take the wind from your sails

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    There's an excellent program Dlab/Wlab which does the same and an awful lot more.

Ian
    Google doesn't bring up anything by this name in a prominent way. Got a link? I'd like to know if it's cross platform, open source, freeware, etc.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    Google doesn't bring up anything by this name in a prominent way. Got a link? I'd like to know if it's cross platform, open source, freeware, etc.

Lee
    Windows only: http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/darktools.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    Thanks Bob. Helpful to others I'm sure, but I don't do Microsoft. My windows are X-windows. Is your link to the same software as Ian mentioned, or an alternate suggestion? I don't see any obvious connection, except perhaps the reference to different programs for the dry and wet sides, D(ry)lab and W(et)lab?

If it's the case that Ian's software suggestion is Microsoft platform only, then sveppi isn't re-inventing the wheel, he's making software for a larger set of users with fewer constraints.

Lee
    Last edited by Lee L; 11-10-2008 at 06:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    Thanks Bob. Helpful to others I'm sure, but I don't do Microsoft. My windows are X-windows. Is your link to the same software as Ian mentioned, or an alternate suggestion? I don't see any obvious connection, except perhaps the reference to different programs for the dry and wet sides, D(ry)lab and W(et)lab?

If it's the case that Ian's software suggestion is Microsoft platform only, then sveppi isn't re-inventing the wheel, he's making software for a larger set of users with fewer constraints.

Lee
    dlab and wlab are the names of the two executable files so I'm guessing it is the same one to which Ian was referring. I use them in my darkroom on an old laptop.

I agree with your assessment although the d/wlab software has an optional hardware interface which is more difficult to do for different computing platforms.

I've downloaded Sverrir's software and will have a play later.

Cheers, Bob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin