Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,983   Online: 858

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Does the USPS routinely x-ray packages?

Less than an hour ago I sent off a couple rolls of film to Dwaynes' from the nearest post office,
    but I forgot to write "EXPOSED FILM -- DO NOT X-RAY" on the envelope, even though I'm not even sure they actually do that. Do I have anything to worry about? They were both 200 ISO, 35mm color print film, if that makes any difference.
    My Chanukkah and Christmas card designs for sale at http://dewylfinart.deviantart.com

Shooter
    35mm
    No, they do not routinely xray anything. The may randomly xray stuff that is flying, or anything they feel is suspicious, but that is infrequent. You will most likely be ok.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, unless you are sending to the DC area, X-rays and irradiation should not be an issue.
    FYI, the only time I had to write "DO NOT X-RAY" warnings on film was when I sent Kodak mailers to Beltsville, MD. They shouldn't have been irradiated, but you never knew when they could end up in the wrong mailstream.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the reassurance! Was that before or after the deadly anthrax mailings, Nickrapak?
    My Chanukkah and Christmas card designs for sale at http://dewylfinart.deviantart.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotophox View Post
    Thanks for the reassurance! Was that before or after the deadly anthrax mailings, Nickrapak?

Well, I only had to send film to Rockville after Kodak Fair Lawn closed, and I always wrote "DO NOT X-RAY" on any Rockville package.

I remember it was shortly after the anthrax attacks that the USPS began using the mail irradiators that turned paper brittle. I figured if it could do that to paper, what could it do to film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is going to Kansas, for Pete's sake! They can barely inspect mail incoming to the District of Columbia. As long as you are not mailing parcels to prisons or insane asylums, you are fine (they X-ray mail). You are fine, have faith in America.

How ironic would it be for the USPS to X-ray packages? As Benjamin franklin, who helped establish the forerunner of the modern USPS, said, "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." I smiled a little, thinking of this. : )

EDIT: Typo.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin