Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,172   Online: 730

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

What would you ask for from a fine woodworker?

Being a designer by day, I'm putting together a proposal for designing and building a website for my cousin, who's a fine woodworker, former wooden boat builder, and general cabinetry expert. I was thinking, since he's my cousin, of asking if he wants to do a barter, graphic design for a wood project instead of $$.

If you were me, what kind of camera would you want him to build? I'm a pinhole freak, love alt processes, and have always wanted to get into large format, or plates, or... well, my ambitions are endless.

I was thinking of having him build me either a 4x5 or 8x10 pinhole (with a way to interchange the holes/zone plates etc, perhaps) for film and/or paper. OR a proper 8x10 film camera for which I'd somehow find him a lens, bellows and film holder.

What would you ask for? Anyone know any cool plans I could download? Anyone have experiences to share building any of these types of things? Good sources for the bits needed for the 8x10 idea?

Fun fun fun!

thanks
    annie
    (aka cordelia)

Shooter
    35mm
    I would be tempted to get something like one of Rayment Kirby's camera designs built.

http://www.raymentkirbycameras.co.uk/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anything? An ULF camera. Forget the pinhole. You can always mount a pinhole lensboard if you want.

Bellows aren't hard. A few companies make them. Lenses are easy enough to find to.

The problem I see is he'll want/need plans or at least something to look at.

The material costs won't be much higher for an ULF over a smaller.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, it pays to have a backup system. How about a woodpecker?
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    To keep it "simple" I would consider an 8x10 pinhole that uses 8x10 holders but no GG. Perhaps using one of those peek-a-p-boo thingies you put in your front door to see who is there as a viewer.

I would have an adapter built to be able to replace the pinhole with a "real" lens and shutter (perhaps a 210mm lens -- carefully measuring the distance to take advantage of the hyperfocal distance). See the Hobo Camera as an example. That way you have the best of both worlds.

The camera would be about 8" thick (less if the 210 lens is on a cone to push it farther from the film plane). Another lens possibility would be a Wollensak 159mm (6 1/4") lens which are great lenses -- especially if no movements are needed, and would keep the camera thinner. There are also more expensive Schneider 165mm lenses, too (Super or regular Angalons?).

Vaughn

PS...could not find a photo of the actual "Hobo Camera", but here is someone else's designs

http://www.jamieyoungphoto.com/Homem...meras%201.html
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Can he do real precision machining in wood? If he can, then just buy a camera in an interesting format, maybe 7x17" or 8x20" or 7x11" or 11x14" or 20x24", and ask him to make you filmholders, which can be the largest financial obstacle to getting into an Ultra Large or custom format. Custom filmholders tend to run around $300-500 up to 11x14" or 7x17", and Lotus 20x24" filmholders are around $1000 a piece.

If he's successful, we could all use a few more competitors in the filmholder business.

Check out these custom filmholders from A.W. Brubaker--

http://www.filmholders.com/filmho1.html
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    Perhaps a lovely work desk, or a cabinet to hold your favorite camera, lenses, and associated photo items? Maybe a fine easel for viewing photos?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My brother in law is a woodworker by hobby. I am currently designing a folding legged tripod and camera base that will accomodate my 4x5 as a winter project and quality male bonding time in the garage. Saw dust, cold air and second hand smoke. Recipe for disaster;p
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd be tempted to ask for a totally new version of the 8x10 poco. It's a super compact, light 8x10 field camera with a very nice design, I honestly wouldn't change a single thing. Problem is, it's ~108 years old and some wooden parts are a bit frail. So a brand new version, just an exact duplicate, would be pretty awesome.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with David, filmholders would be it...good wood filmholders are so nice, and hard to find (other than AWB and S&S there isn't anyone here in the states)....nice 7x11 holders, ah!
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin