Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,350   Online: 1044

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The Roots of California Photography

Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I haven't seen it but would really like to. I wonder if they ever sold it as a DVD? Guess I'll check with MOPA here in San Diego and see if they know.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    A great DVD, narrated by Jack Lemon. Photographers of today, whether they follow in its tradition or react against, still feel the impact of the unofficial California school of photography.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info, I just ordered it as an early Xmas present for myself! ; - )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Monterey Bay Area photographers who profoundly influenced the world"

As beautiful as California is and undoubtedly was, these proclamations of self importance tends to make me lose interest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one on order too, in addition to books I enjoy DVDs on photography of all kinds, foreign and domestic. Freestyle has the history of photography on two DVDs that's fast paced and very comprehensive, one needs to keep an open mind and read, watch and take in all points of view, it's truly an international adventure.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I received the DVD I ordered from eBay today. It is one hour of pure information, the interviews with Cole Weston, Kim Weston, older interviews with Brett Weston, Ansel Adams and a wide range of artists and photographers are discussed. A Canadian born artist, Henrietta Shore, and may women who contributed are also given consideration, which is not always the case. Kim Weston shows how his dad used the darkroom, many cameras, darkrooms and methods are shown. This is a great addition to my library. The interview with Cole is especially interesting, he talks about his dad getting color materials from Kodak and how he started using it and developed his interest in color. Jack Lemmon gives a fantastic narration which carries it right along.

Henrietta Shore (1880-1963)
    Henrietta Shore was born in Toronto, Canada in 1863. Her art studies were at the Art Students League in New York and at the Heatherly Art School in London where she befriended John Singer Sargent. Shore is remembered as a major figure among women Modernists. In 1913 she helped found the Society of Modern Artists in Los Angeles where she exhibited until approximately 1920 when she left for New York and Europe. She achieved international acclaim in her lifetime for her modernist still lifes, portraits and especially her floral paintings which were compared to O’Keeffe’s. Henrietta Shore was a resident of Carmel when she died in 1963.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    What is the date of this video? I would assume '60s or '70s?
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The date is 2002. I gotta kinda disagree with you Mr Callow. I'm not a huge fan of saint Ansel but 99% of people I know would only be able to name him if asked who is a famous photographer. Not too self important really.
    "If I only had a brain"-Some badly dressed guy made of straw in some movie I think I saw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin