Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,945   Posts: 1,585,834   Online: 973

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis P. View Post

...I've even tried purchasing some of the RH Designs devices (Analyzer Pro, etc.), but it looks like it's difficult to do from Croatia....
    Besides, the costs are pretty high. I know they're worth it, but for my purposes those are an overkill, anyway....

Denis
    Denis, I am buying from out of Bosnia using paying by bank. Procedure is next:

Send Email to seller (in your case to RHdesigns) and ask them to send you proforma invoice in printable form (word, pdf, excel...).

On proforma invoices needs to be written (atleast my bank require): Products and prices, transport cost, full and precise name and address of seller and buyer, name and address of sellers bank, sellers account number (IBAN) in its bank, SWIFT code of sellers bank.

I usually ask transport by post, but it is not that important, have get parcels with DHL and it works too . I only had problems with one Bosnian courrier, InTime, and will never work with them again.

With that proforma invoice I go to bank, and make payment acording to proforma invoice (in currency stated on proforma invoice, in RHdesigns case it would be GBP, just buy them in bank if you don't have them), and I state I am paying costs of sellers bank (you as buyer pay all expences). There is form in my bank I fill, you need to check with your bank.

When seller get money on its account (usually 2 days, latest 5 days) they send ordered products to your address (same day or tomorow morning in most cases).

When products arrive in your country (transport time usually week or two, but even month is not unusual), it will go to post office in custom/tax service. There they will charge you with custom and tax expences, or will free you of paying those expences (not likely, but I had those situations too).

You get on your home address note from your post where is stated you got parcel and if you need to pay custom/tax expences, there will be written amount of the expences.

You go to post with that note, and there you will get filled paying form(s). You pay what you need, and after that you will take your parcel and go home. You will get also certificate that you payed custom/tax, or that you were fee from paying them.

As I don't use credit card I am buying this way for almost 10 years, and having 2 or 3 times some problems with transport (InTime) or custom office (I already wrote about it here), this is pretty smooth way of buying from out of my country.

I have bought this way stuff from Czech Republic, Germany, GB, Austria, Croatia, and even if sellers have internet forms and credit card payment options, after I write them mail saying I don't use credit card, no one refused to sell me using bank payment, so I don't see why you would have problems too.
    Last edited by haris; 11-15-2008 at 12:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by haris View Post
    Denis, I am buying from out of Bosnia using paying by bank. Procedure is next: ...
    That is amazing. Why can't you use a credit card?

Surely, we need more trade restrictions to make it more difficult for you to buy this timer and protect the Bosnian darkroom timer market.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There really isn't any good replacement for the Palm for automation schemes such as you desire. Palms are still made, your best bet is to just buy another one and continue on. If you use it on the cradle then dead batteries are a non-issue.

The Darkroom Automation timer won't do process timing. (And, in defense, the display isn't cryptic for common uses: "dx.x" for dodge, "bx.x" for burn, "tx.x" for test strips, however for complex memory programs the display does get a bit tight - the usual problem of software features over-running the hardware.) We don't make a process timer because I don't think it is possible to make a specialized timer that would do a better job and sell for less than the ~$90 cost of a low-end Palm Pilot.

RH designs does make a process timer with a compensating temperature probe. Their Analyzer/etc. timers don't do process timing.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    If you use it on the cradle then dead batteries are a non-issue.
    Some of the serial cable Palm cradles would actually discharge the batteries if you left them sitting in the cradle and not powered up. There was a fix for this, disconnection one of the contacts, IIRC. It's probably still documented on the web somewhere.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe I'm missing the point, but I like to keep things simple in the darkroom. See the attachments for the timers I use. I don't worry about batteries, programing, readability or how to connect things. Just IMHO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails graylab.jpg   Paterson timer.jpg   Kodak Timer.jpeg  
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That Paterson Triple timer looks useful. But, I bet my Palm is smaller than any of those three in the photos.
    Besides, I don't have room for 3 timers...

However, I had my USB cradle modified, so that now it also has serial connection - which means that I can use newer Palms (Tungsten T & T3, M505, etc.) with my serial 220V relay. Problem solved - for now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    Some of the serial cable Palm cradles would actually discharge the batteries if you left them sitting in the cradle
    Only if you left the charger unplugged.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post

Surely, we need more trade restrictions to make it more difficult for you to buy this timer and protect the Bosnian darkroom timer market.
    I don't use credit card because I don't have one. And, I don't have one because I don't want it. I don't like electronic banking so I avoid it as much as I can. What is so hard when your sallary get to your account to go to bank, take your money, and to pay in cash when you are buying something? I prefer that way. Or to go to bank if you are not allowed to pay in cash?

There are two good reasons for not using credit card: One is humane nature, if you pay in cash, you think more how your spend your money, and second, if nothing, less passwrds (pin numbers) to remember

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by haris View Post
    I don't use credit card because I don't have one. And, I don't have one because I don't want it...
    Might have been lost in translation but I was kidding around.

One advantage of the Luddite mentality is that you would not need a darkroom timer anyway. Just trick out your pendulum and abacus and you are good to go.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post

But, if you want to make buying really simple, there is also next procedure, but noone works that way: I send Email with ordering product, seller send it to me, I pay it when it come to my home address.

But, problem with that procedure is that seller will have to wait to get money I payed, and never to know when money will get on seller's account. For example, if product arrive to me by post, I pay to the postman, and seller have to wait for post office to make payment to sellers account.

So, credit card is not made to make buying easier to buyer, but to "force" people to buys more (not paying in cash so phychologically is easier to buy - spend money), and to seller to get its money more securely.

And bank procedure is so complicated because banks are not humanitarian organizations, they want to:

1. earn money

2. secure themselves from any wrongdoings and/or illegal activities their clients may be involved in, and to secure bank can't be connected with, or be liable for, any possibile illegal or wrong activities of their clients.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin