Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,425   Online: 1048

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The new issue of View Camera has an article about software that will help "correct" a pinhole image that comes in the form of a photoshop plugin. What will they think of next?

Of course I hate to break the bad news to George Dewolfe and the folks at Photoshop. Someone beat them to it back in mid 1800s. I think they called their idea the lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Oh, they're way ahead of the game on that. I've seen a procedure in Photoshop that will render the dark tones of the negative image as light and light tones of the same as dark, such as persons and objects appear in nature.

Here's a great ad for the Voigtlander Superb TLR circa 1933, making the case for the superiority of the TLR over the SLR for sport photography because it eliminates the lag time between "'pressing the button' and the actual exposure.... if, for example, you have a racing car in the finder when you press the button, you will be disappointed to find that you have only the end of its tail in the picture!":

http://www.marriottworld.com/adverti...index_page.htm

I predict the invention of the digital TLR to solve the shutter lag problem in the digital world as well!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Kind of makes you wish virus writers would target photoshop instead of email..

Images
    A while back in another thread I mentioned that I once stumbled on a "Holga" filter for Photoshop.

You can make your $8000 DSLR take pictures that look just like they were shot with a $10 film camera.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    A while back in another thread I mentioned that I once stumbled on a "Holga" filter for Photoshop.

You can make your $8000 DSLR take pictures that look just like they were shot with a $10 film camera.
    Well, I've shot Holga's for over 20 years and recently gave up until going digital. Ha, Holga's, the cruddy plastic shelled beasts, light leaks, misjudged compositions. Then there are the smelly chemicals, wasted money and time trying to print by hand. Since using the new Holga filter for my D300 camera and an Epson 9600x photographic ultra chrome archival print maker, well, I have to say the result is life changing. I feel like a breath of fresh air has lifted my artistic exploration into the stratosphere! I take photographs with my D300, upload to photoshop, apply the Holga filter, and print. I'm doing exactly everything a traditional Holga shooter and darkroom user do, but have opened up new doors of creativity. After all, the end product is all that matters. I'm even prepared to argue that the Holga filter provides a more accurate Holga image than the Holga camera itself. I urge all Holga enthusiasts to try the Holga filter and start producing the Holga shots of your dreams!

-my impression of a Holga user gone digihead

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I actually know a lady that lives in Houston that used to shoot Holgas and now is a digit head and uses that PS filter to render the digital file to look like a Holga. If you point out to them that they can just use the 12 dollar camera they tell you it is quicker to use the digital camera and throw away the images that don't work and they don't have the extra expense of film and time processing said film.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you point out to them that they can just use the 12 dollar camera they tell you it is quicker to use the digital camera and throw away the images that don't work and they don't have the extra expense of film and time processing said film.
    Yeah, because computers are dirt cheap, Photoshop is dirt cheap, the plug-ins are dirt cheap, digicams are dirt cheap, and none of these will ever need to be replaced ever......
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Robert,
    Don't confuse the issue with facts now OK? I have a good friend that shut down the darkroom and sold it off and bought Epson printers and a Nikon Coolscan 4000. He was shooting Leicas Made nice prints. Had to buy a new driver for the Epson. Then he bought a Mac G4 with mega ram. Just because he did not like Microsoft. PhotoShop doesn't run on Linux. Then he sold the Leicas and the Nikons and bought a Digi Nikon D1x. Then he bought a new printer (Epson 2200p). That is before they came out with the new photoshop ver8. Now he has decided that the G4 is way too slow and he needs a G5 with the giga megs of ram. This is the latest thing. Is he a photographer or an equipment slut! I think I know the answer. Good thing he has a very good paying job. This does not count the priority ink systems or the high priced paper he uses. Now film and paper and chems cost some and some cases a lot. But good grief, what I just described was in less than 2 years.

lee\c

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin