Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,166   Online: 1154

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I was talking to an old photographer friend yesterday who remarked " don't need photoshop I take pictures, not make them "

Sounds like he's having a bit of a lark, but otherwise, he must be very old to have such an antiquated view of art. Photography as an art form is made, not taken and certainly not snapped.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What a pretentious statement! Tell him to forget about semantics and just keep buying lots of film.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Both film and digital are subject to picture taking and picture making. It starts when you put your eye in the VF. Framing, shadow detail, acutance, high lights, DOF, shutter speed etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenico Foschi View Post
    Hey, nice capture Paul, where did you acquire it?

;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Sounds like he's having a bit of a lark, but otherwise, he must be very old to have such an antiquated view of art. Photography as an art form is made, not taken and certainly not snapped.
    John is old, and is the retired former head of photography for the city I live in, and is the best darkroom worker I know, his remark was meant to be an ironic shot at Photoshop I think, and the way that effects can be produced that don't appear in nature .
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenico Foschi View Post
    The way i see it, I take a picture when I click the shutter(or whatever I use as shutter at the moment).
    I make a picture when I work on it in the darkroom.
    Am I missing something?
    You said it best.

In other words, I think we "take" and "capture" light, then we make it in PhotoShop or the wet darkroom.

I really don't see why some get hung up on semantics, and take offense to "take" and "capture"...
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Perhaps the old boy's hemmoriods are acting up...just saying...
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin