Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,888   Posts: 1,520,741   Online: 1102

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Super Panchro-Press, Type B

That's what I found written on a box of 40 4x5 negatives from my parents wedding in 1952.

I was so thrilled to find these, as I'd never seen the wedding photos other than one or two in all the years.

I was amazed at the stiffness (thickness) of these negs, their condition and quality.
    I scanned all of them to make a book at A&I for my xmas gifts to my siblings, one for the archives.

Yesterday I printed from one for a cousin...I didn't even re-wash..just printed and damn good negs (mine don't print this easy).

Some guy with a speed graphic & flash did these 56 years ago.
    That alone says a lot about film, it's usability and archival qualities.
    Here's a few samples.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wed-#13.jpg   wed-#16.jpg   wed-#37.jpg  
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Those are great! I have a partial box of Super-Panchro Press B in 2x3" that I got from someone here on APUG. It's probably really foggy, but I'll have to test out a few sheets sometime soon.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    It used to be my favourite film...obviously.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by panchro-press View Post
    It used to be my favourite film...obviously.
    Was this the common film used by most press photographers?
    There's no speed rating on the box, and the grain structure is different - seems "tighter"..
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The name of this film rang a bell for me. I think maybe we used it in the Army photo school in New Jersey at Fort Monmouth. I think it was about 200 ASA, medium speed. We souped everything in DK50, if memory serves, with nitrogen burst agitation.
    I taught there in the mid to late 60's. Anybody else ever there?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I shot a whole bunch of this whilst in college in Speed Graphics. ASA 125. With and without flash bulbs. Souped in DK50 in tanks, or; when in a hurry, in a 5x7 tray of straight Dektol for two minutes with gentle, constant agitation, fixed, sloshed in photo flo, shaken a couple of times, and print the negs wet. Focus quickly before the neg buckles, and a real short exposure time.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I wish films today would do that. What I wouldn't give to have a case each of Super Panchro Press, Super XX and Royal Pan.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin