Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,727   Online: 814

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Long term quick release plate: Cork VS rubber?

Ok, I have a Manfrotto quick release plate and a Bogen plate of the same design. I want to put one on the bottom of my Pacemaker and leave it there, and I was wondering if either the cork or rubber was better to use for a long term attachment. I don't want to damage the skin of the camera. Does it even matter?

Last edited by EASmithV; 12-28-2008 at 11:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    bump

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the hexagon manfroto quick realease plates with both cork and rubber. The cork falls to peices and the rubber comes unglued. The rubber can be reglued, but once the cork falls apart there is no fixing it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience has been the same as JD's. The cork just doesn't hold up well. Besides crumbling, it also sticks to the bottom of the camera if a bit over-tightened. The rubber plate is still intact and doing well (it hasn't become unglued).
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find the rubber adheres better.

I like the cork better for some reason... but if I turn off the emotional part of my brain, rubber seems to be the better choice.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ok, thanks

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Actualy if you don't like either: Linhoff used leather, I don't think there is much diverence unless you want to keep it on a non-metal camera for an extended time, either the glue sticks or the rubber....
    Leather can allso be used if the cork gives up.

I have GAS too:
    - Rolleiflex 2.8F
    - Rollei SL 66
    - Sinar P2 8x10 inch
    - OM 1n

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin