Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,731   Posts: 1,515,256   Online: 818

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beach Tripod

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can make a "snow shoe" concept for each leg of the tripod to prevent sinking. This can be made out of old tennis/ the like rackets. For sand getting into parts on tripods.... plastic bags.
    I will NEVER stop developing...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Long ago I read about folks having a measure of success with the tripod legs in sand by using empty pop cans over the leg tips and squishing them into the sand for stability. Don't remember the details, but if it were me I'd short-tether the cans to the legs so they couldn't fall off when relocating the camera on pod. Also I'd opt for more durable tin cans rather than aluminum ones. My experience has only been in mountain snow with 4x5, a much less hostile environment than blowing sand on the beach, and I agree with Vaughn about the stuff-sack over the camera. But if you're using a view camera, my biggest concern would be keeping the blowing sand out of a film holder when removed from its protective ziplock bag inside the carry-case, not to mention steadying the camera.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin