Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,623   Online: 1116

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    When ranger began their series of photos and crashed on the moon, it spelled the death of the Bimat project. Bimat was much better in resolution, but very very slow. I remember them shutting the Bimat project labs and meeting with our division. We then got their lab space and they moved to another building and then just kind of vanished.

Grant was trying to speed it up by devising a heat processed single sheet film, but the problem was not the processing, it was the time to process then scan as well as the power to heat the equipment. Essentially, the argument went that the video could be transmitted directly. And that is where the argument came in that the signal was digital. Since we were working on digital capture, that was the assumption, but it must have been an analog signal.

Right after that, about the time of the Mavica, Kodak made their first digital color chip and camera. At the same time, they produced a color print material called "Electrocolor" which was based on a 3 color scan and dye transfer to a Titanox matrix on a paper support.

PE
    Fascinating stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It looks like Apollo 12 astronauts inspected the expired Surveyor III on the moon. I wonder if they encountered a crashed Orbiter craft if the film would still be intact?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    It looks like Apollo 12 astronauts inspected the expired Surveyor III on the moon. I wonder if they encountered a crashed Orbiter craft if the film would still be intact?
    I never heard that story. Do you have a reference?

Thanks.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I never heard that story. Do you have a reference?

Thanks.

PE
    Pretty amazing. They landed quite close to it and just walked over to inspect it. One of the things they did was to search for living bacteria, as the Surveyor was not heat sterilized back on earth. Checking to see if they were contaminating the moon with earthling microbes. Turns out they found some still-living bacteria but it was probably contamination during processing of the sample on earth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know how accurate it is but I used google to find the Orbiter 2 crash site on the moon. Now they just need to send someone up there to get the film out of it

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/12616/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, thanks, I had completely forgotten that. Here is the whole thing for everyone...

http://www.apolloarchive.com/apollo_gallery.html

PE

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin