Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,447   Online: 930

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    (First the short term memory goes, then ... I forget what happens after that.)

DaveT

Actually I've heard that's the second thing to go.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This being an analog forum and all, is it permissible to discuss the digital solution I came up with? Sorta, that is?

I started carrying with me my little digital voice recorder (used at my real job) to make verbal notes about exposures, etc. Then I found I hadn't figured out a foolproof way to distinguish which film sheet came from which numbered holder, and therefore which film (processed in a Jobo, so all mixed up and out of order) corresponded with which verbal note. Then of course I had to listen to the notes and try to find THE note in question, or transcribe them in all a sitting. Not that there were that many (despite the logorrrhea that is my affliction both here on APUG as well as in real life); but it was rather a PITA. Plus, fishing the voice recorder out of the dank recesses of my photo-vest- or overcoat pockets, or leaving it out and handy but not lost (like the Sekonic 358 and monopod I walked off and left once), proved to be beyond my limited mental means.

Naturally, I reached for a gear-intensive solution: one of those voice-activated microphones I could attach to my lapel (photo vest neck, that is) and speak into like some silver-halide secret agent. Can't recall if it was unavailable for my particular voice recorder, or merely ruinously expensive. Either way, the whole scheme got deep-sixed.

My LF activities are currently on hold pending the arrival of a Chamonix from the Middle Kingdom, so my chief MF record-keeping task is getting the date and location correct for frames on rolls which span several days of shooting around life's less pleasant activities--like that real job, for instance! For this, I record the basic info, plus shooting dates, on the little film-box top in the memo holder on the back of some of my MF gear. But since I buy film in pro-packs, I often don't have boxes! So I used some rewriteable labels originally designed for floppy disks that allow you to write with a Sharpie, and erase with their special eraser. Put one on every film back or camera-body back. Great--but where in the name of all that is holy DID I PUT THE #($*%@!! eraser?

A notebook and pencil are looking better all the time. Gotta drag out my old Picker notebook.

BTW, perhaps for another thread---how do you all notch or groove or otherwise modify your film holders so that a holder number will appear in the film rebate, assigning each film a discernible holder number?
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb View Post
    BTW, perhaps for another thread---how do you all notch or groove or otherwise modify your film holders so that a holder number will appear in the film rebate, assigning each film a discernible holder number?
    I use a small saw blade for an I (1), a small triangular file for the V (5) and a round file (like a power saw file) for a U (10). I mark the wooden or plastic flap the dark slide slides into, and the marks come out on the edge of the film (if I loaded it properly). So UVII would be number 17.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yes. Small, not 8 1/2 x 11"
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    I use a small saw blade for an I (1), a small triangular file for the V (5) and a round file (like a power saw file) for a U (10). I mark the wooden or plastic flap the dark slide slides into, and the marks come out on the edge of the film (if I loaded it properly). So UVII would be number 17.
    Brilliant!!

Thanks for that ... (rattling sound as Kent rifles through tool box looking for kit with variously shaped little files ...).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't remember where I got the idea, but I'm sure it wasn't original. That's not to say I'm not brilliant!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    Don't remember where I got the idea, but I'm sure it wasn't original. That's not to say I'm not brilliant!
    I had previously seen the idea using a number of simple "v" notches corresponding to the film holder number, but not the idea of using Roman numerals.

So whether you originated the idea or not, you can take the rest of the day off!

Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Richard Ritter uses a similar system to mark his film holders. I've adopted it for my own use. With ULF holders, you need to be able to determine which ones might have light leaks.
    John Bowen

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have the 4.5"x7" Rite in the Rain All-Weather Notebooks.

I record every negative taken (easy when one only takes 4 to 6 different images in a day).

On the left side is recorded date location, film, lens, exposure settings, a drawing of the scene, film holder number in a somewhat standard matter.

On the right side are my meter reading, any notes, and what I how I developed the negs. All this info gets transferred to the negatives' film sleeve (paper 4-fold envelopes).

The notebooks also act as a diary of where I have been...but have not much as far as extra infomation (weather, thoughts, plans, etc).

vaughn

PS...some of my holders (bought used) came with very small holes drilled in the flap that holds the film in - instead of the notches that johnnywalker uses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NotebookPageSample.jpg   IMG_0424.jpg  
    Last edited by Vaughn; 01-26-2009 at 10:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I have the 4.5"x7" Rite in the Rain All-Weather Notebooks.
    Very practical. I have one of those in my kayak.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin