Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,565   Online: 1104

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I generally make notes in a small notebook for each sheet of film/frame exposed. It's an old habit. I then transfer the notes to the sleeve for each negative. Notes can help you troubleshoot when things go awry.

Holder/Frame Number, EV reading, Iris setting, Shutter setting, Basic description of scene

Example
    #12 EV13 f/8 1/125 Lake - Into sun/boat
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nope. But I do keep notes for each negative on 4x5 glassine negative sleeves, then cut notches in the edge of the sleeves to indicate what development each one will get. This way I can fire all the exposed negatives into one box after the holders get emptied, they won't get scratched, and they're easy to separate when I next get back to the darkroom. Handy on long trips.

Murray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    I use a small saw blade for an I (1), a small triangular file for the V (5) and a round file (like a power saw file) for a U (10). I mark the wooden or plastic flap the dark slide slides into, and the marks come out on the edge of the film (if I loaded it properly). So UVII would be number 17.
    Slick!

I was impatient, could only find a small triangular file, and just went for it. I only have six holders so went with groups of four;

vv is holder #2, vvvv vv is holder #6, vvvv vvvv v is holder #9, etc.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Each time I charge a new film in one of my cameras, I take the following notes:

In title:
    - camera’s name and film’s number,
    - film’s name and box speed vs. speed set on the camera,
    - date of the first shoot, and at the end I also note the date of the last one.

For each shoot:
    - subject and date,
    - lens’ name, focal length, aperture,
    - shutter speed only if something special (like when I suspect shaking),
    - over/under exposure, or where from I picked-up the exposure (when using AE-lock), or how I determined the manual exposure,
    - miscellaneous: filter, artificial light, mirror lock, tripod, cable release vs. self-timer, etc.

Looks like it is very laborious, but it is only a habit. I never use a table or a memory help, as not all this information is pertinent for each shoot. And when it is, it becomes obvious, so I cannot forget to note it. Besides, lot of the information is redundant, like the date of the shoot, the lens’ name, its focal length, the aperture used, the filter employed, sometimes even the subject. So, I don’t have to note it for each shoot. Usually, it takes me 1-2 pages (half letter size) for a 135/24 film (1 page for 120). A SLR takes more, a fixed lens RF or a TLR takes less.
    Last edited by phenix; 01-26-2009 at 10:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    B&W is silver.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, I carry one at all times.

I have written down some info in case I suffer from the occasional cranial flatulation. EV Index, Additive Light Value Equivalents, Basic Zone System, Guide Numbers, other odds and ends.

One bit of info I would suggest would be the EV Index and the two ways to use it. Aperture and shutter speed. Film speed and ALV (additive light values).
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the best of intentions. But I rarely have a notebook with me unless I'm trying something new. When I shoot large format, I do have a pencil and post-its in the bag with the film holders. Some of the holders I've got had notches in them already, so I filled in the numbers I didn't have and I use those for reference. They're all just triangles, so it's not very sophisticated. But so far it works. Though, if I screw something up, it's likely not from the settings but leaving the lens open, bumping the camera, loading the holder poorly, or one of the other 150 things that can be screwed up with LF.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I actually have affixed 2x3 white stickers to one side of my 4x5 dark slides so that once the film is exposed it serves the double purpose of letting me know that the film was exposed and gives me a sizeable notation area about exp, etc. for that negative.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I mark down every sheet I shoot: where I am, which holder number, which optics, metering of main spots of the scene (in EV), what zones I place those spots in, the indicated exposure (in EV), the actual exposure (in shutter/fstop), any reciprocity failure or bellows factor modifications, and what development is indicated. If there are movements, I try to note them as well. Sometimes I sketch out the lighting plan, if I'm using strobes.

It occurs to me that I don't note the date or time I made the exposure. I should start doing that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    only when i am on a job, to mark down
    the description, and direction ( n/s/e/w) my lens was facing,
    or to write the person's name &C i was told to photograph.
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wilhelm View Post
    [...]

It occurs to me that I don't note the date or time I made the exposure. I should start doing that.
    Funny you should say that...
    I note the time, but never the date (!). I seem to remember "that one day" even if I can't recall putting a number to it!
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin