Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,279   Online: 928

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    No.

Probably should.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I designed an exposure log that I fill out for each film holder and put it in the zip-lock bag with the holder when I'm done. It has the usual info plus filter factor, bellows factor and adjusted exp. I also note how I want to develop the negative. On the back are reciprosity corrections for several films.
    Attached Files
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I keep two.

The spiral "reporter's" notebook in the camera bag for local stuff - where I record anything relevant about the shoot - names, times, etc.

For road trips, the general journal book - a sewn black and white school composition book - goes in the bag. It catches any photo info from each day as I shoot. Each night on the road I sit down and journal in the events of the day so that by the end of a trip I have a daily diary that includes not only the photo info but all the other notable details of the trip.

Shooter
    35mm
    yep, MacBook Notebook!
    Nikon user

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing" Optimus Prime

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, though it typically is used for jotting down notes of what I just shot, instead of how I shot it.

One of my biggest uses of photography is documenting the native plants of my ecoregion, and if I'm on a native plants hike of an area I'm unfamiliar with, I'll jot down the exposure and roll numbers of unfamiliar species.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I"m pretty good about keeping notes for my LF work. I usually will jot notes on scrap paper while out shooting, then will transfer to the book once I'm back at car/home. One image per page. I note date, place, film, f-stop, shutter speed, ISO, filters, light conditions, anything else that seems pertinent. I also make a little sketch and/or description of the image so it is easier to match up the negative as it comes out of the tank or tray with the correct information. I also take the notebook into the darkroom with me and note film development info and then add my printing info as well. I used to keep darkroom notes in a separate book, but find it easier to refer back if I have all the info about a particular image in one place. The bad images end up with alot of white space, but with a good image I will end up using the whole page as I note different printing attempts, lith or pd/pt maybe.
    MF and 35mm work - I occaisionally make notes while shooting. I write development info on the neg sleeve, and keep printing info on the back of the contact sheet, which I keep in a 8 1/2x11 sleeve next to the negs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    do you keep a notebook in your camera bag? If yes, what information/data do you keep in it?
    I keep records of exposures - aperture, shutter speed, filtration, lens, etc. Also, because I usually try to meter the contrast range of the image, I also note the expected processing - N, N-1, N-2, N+1, etc. I only do this for 4x5 since that's the only place where I have the ability to use the information to make decisions about processing. I also note the subject, date and time of day, and sometimes a potential title in the event a final print is ever made.

After processing the film, that information is transferred to a record sheet that eventually is filed with a proof sheet. That record sheet also has space for making notes about how I print the negative.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=nyoung;744566]I keep two.

The spiral "reporter's" notebook in the camera bag for local stuff - where I record anything relevant about the shoot - names, times, etc.

Likewise I keep a reporter's notebooks, but I use them for all of my shoots, 35mm-LF. I record film type,who what, where, when, I add expsoure data to LF and sometimes MF, I keep one notebook in each bag. I tied to keep more comperhensive "logs", but not just in my nature.

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    If I am out shooting with multiple rolls of film and don't want to get confused about which ones have been completely exposed while I am out and once I return home, I prepare a full page of Avery labels where each one simply reads "done". Then, when I finish shooting a roll in the field, I simply pull off one "done" label and affix it to the plastic film container so that I don't end up reinserting a finished roll in my camera. I also do this because my Leica R8 is set to not automatically rewind film rolls completely back into the canisters so that I can trim the end before developing the rolls. This simple habit is a blessing!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Actualy not.... maybe I should for names and so on.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin