Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,636   Online: 1169

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by viridari View Post
    I am so horribly unorganized, though, that I wouldn't know what to do with more exhaustive notes if I took them.
    Me too, but I am certain that the act of writing the words down helps fix the idea in memory. In college I took voluminous lecture notes, never looked at them again, and did just great anyway.

Age, however, changes everything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a Fred Picker Zone VI field data guide (notebook) on ebay now.

Mike

Images
    What a good idea. I think I'll go put one in there. Oh wait, maybe I do have one but I guess I don't use it. Oh well.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Interesting thread, in that so many people have responded in so many ways, ranging from guilt to almost religious testifying to the use. I would think that it is a personality thing. I also carry a 5x7 notepad in my kit with the best intensions of using it as described. In reality one pad has lasted several years. I have jotted notes when I discovered that a lens needed tightening on a Sinar board or cleaning, that I needed to carry an extra tool in the kit or car. I have written down that I needed to purchase more supplies or go back to such and such location at a different time of day or with different lighting conditions. I have even exchanged addresses and phone numbers with delightful people I have met. I donít remember ever writing down what was supposed to be there.

I was in sales for forty years and I was told that sales people were always bad with paper work. It was as good an excuse as I needed to avoid call reports as long as I was over quota and could get away with it. I have photographed with a lovely lady who is an accountant. She comes by this documentation thing naturally and I think it works for her. I know a person who makes elaborate detailed notes who consistently takes lousy pictures. He collects all sorts of equipment, but rarely does the grunt work to learn how to use it. His worst pictures are blamed on the models. Another fellow mysteriously takes out a Palm Pilot and jots down things all the time. I donít know if he uses it for this. My step son, an author in his thirties uses one of the moleskin booklets that is his "life". He has used this since I met him when he was 13 and it seems to work very well for him. If it works for you, God Bless. I am always too busy taking pictures and forget.

John Powers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    I use Fred Picker's little red notebook in my Hassey bag and one of Jason Brunner's LF books with my Zone VI 4x5. Seems backwards?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ira Rush View Post
    Now, not that I am looking for yet one more... I am curious about the following...

I have Fred Picker's book Zone VI Workshop.. The Fine Print in Black & White Photography, can't find any mention of a red notebook there.
    Was this in any of his newsletters? If not where can I find out more?
    Googling yields no results.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    There is a Fred Picker Zone VI field data guide (notebook) on ebay now.

Mike
    Mike,

Thanks for the heads up re: the "Lil Red Notebook"....

Took a look at it... OK... but I think I'll stick with the one I don't use 90% of the time

Now I can sleep at night

Once again, thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    I am just wondering, do you keep a notebook in your camera bag? If yes, what information/data do you keep in it?

Also if there is one piece of information from your notebook that you would give a young starter analog photographer, what would that information be?
    I use a little recorder in the field. No tapes, but one with a chip. Small, about the size of a large pack of gum.

Yes, exposure information gets entered, but a lot more. Things like weather, what the scene looks like, what I think the print might look like. Observations, like perhaps photographing at another time, another angle, how I felt about the picture, etc. I then TRY and write down in my book what my field notes were. I say try because sometimes it is alot of work.

I am going to try and use the PDA to make a file to download to the PC so I have it that way.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the Picker little red book, moleskins and a host of other notebooks and pens but I rarely used them - through pure laziness! Then I bought one of those adaptors that converts my iPod to a voice recorder. It works well for me.

I often go out to look for photo ops, (because, for me anyway,there's nothing worse than just "going out to take photographs" without any idea what I'm looking for.) I take the GPS and the iPod and as I spot possibilities I make "notes". This way I build a book of things to be done, and can also work out what time of day, what season, even what weather conditions etc makes the most sense for that subject.

Been out of operation for the past year, so I've had to content myself with building a "To-Do Portfolio" This seems to work well for me.
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    A while ago I made this:

http://www.lulu.com/content/2045656

...mostly for myself. It's geared towards large format. You can make one of your own pretty easy, or many folks use those waterproof notebooks (the name escapes me). Some kind of log is essential for large format, or any kind of work like night photography where it is useful to know what you did in hindsight, so you can do it again, make intelligent adjustment based on observable results with known facts, or at least half the time in my case, what not to do again

Rite in the Rain.

I use notebooks for my LF stuff and have for MF and 35 mm, but usually on these formats only for IR. I also write developing information in them. Something that I do for LF is write down the dates I've loaded my holders and what type of film is loaded in them.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Never

I do not use any digital camera, so I do not need it. I show photograpgs only. Not LCD. http://www.apug.org/forums/images/sm...on_biggrin.gif

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by petras@foto.sk View Post
    I do not use any digital camera, so I do not need it. I show photograpgs only. Not LCD. http://www.apug.org/forums/images/sm...on_biggrin.gif
    I do have a compact, but since I have my mechanical SLR I don't trust that little thing anymore.
    I don't have a notebook for my photography, but I should.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin