Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,220   Online: 1041

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Do you keep a notebook in your camera bag?

I am just wondering, do you keep a notebook in your camera bag? If yes, what information/data do you keep in it?

Also if there is one piece of information from your notebook that you would give a young starter analog photographer, what would that information be?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No but I should, and used to.

Well I kept a Zone system log, that recorded aperture, shutter speed, extension (LF), Meter readings for Zone system, filters, reciprocity, film EI, development & results.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you keep a notebook in your camera bag?

Yes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, but I don't usually use it.

It's a good thing to do, especially if you're trying to learn something. My shooting style can often be quite fast-paced and I find it difficult to keep track sometimes. I usually have a pretty good memory though, and can write enough information after finishing the roll to be useful to me afterwards. Not that that's what I would recommend you do...

If you're systematic about it I think you could learn a lot from it.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseontheloose View Post
    Yes, but I don't usually use it.
    Guilty. :rolleyes:

I do keep a detailed log of every film developed and every print made. Not the same thing, I know, but it is a system that works for me. I suppose if I was as methodical about my exposures, I'd have a lot less film to develop... and a lot more keepers.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes I do. Alas, I confess my use of it is a bit haphazard. Since Canon A1s, Bronicas and Perkeos don't embed "EXIF" data, it is nice to have something to refer to after the film is developed. In theory at least, one can refine one's process that way. Sometimes it's also useful to record information about the subject that seems to vaporize from memory in an alarmingly short time after the photo sessions.

(First the short term memory goes, then ... I forget what happens after that.)

DaveT

Shooter
    35mm
    A while ago I made this:

http://www.lulu.com/content/2045656

...mostly for myself. It's geared towards large format. You can make one of your own pretty easy, or many folks use those waterproof notebooks (the name escapes me). Some kind of log is essential for large format, or any kind of work like night photography where it is useful to know what you did in hindsight, so you can do it again, make intelligent adjustment based on observable results with known facts, or at least half the time in my case, what not to do again

Shooter
    Large Format
    With LF, I keep post-it notes.. very handy.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dang, you've prodded my guilt complex! I do keep a notebook in my bag, but don't use it enough.

I'd suggest starting with the basics: date, time, location, lens (if you use more than one), shutter speed, and aperture. As you gain experience you'll probably discover things you want to add on your own. If you use a spot meter you might also want to note the meter reading so you can see how well your choice of exposure worked in relation to the meter reading. In the latter case it might also be a good idea to note the dynamic range of the scene – especially if you're into or planning to get into the zone system.

Now all I need to do is take my own advice ...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Once I went on a photo expedition with two friends, one a photographer and the other a woodworking furniture artist guy.
    The woodworking furniture artist guy ran around me with a little notepad and pencil and would sketch things. It looked like fun, I wanted to trade my camera for his notepad.

Maybe if you give up in the middle of a shoot you can just sketch out some stuff to clear the smoke from your head?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin