Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,985   Online: 985
      
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51
  1. #11
    Barry S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    DC Metro
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,252
    Images
    31
    I remember all the awful filters they sold for fans of lurid colors. Who wouldn't want a pink-purple polarizer? They also sold that ridiculously obvious right angle attachment for lenses--"Lady, I'm NOT taking photos of you. Really."

  2. #12
    fotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SE WI- USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,095
    Besides the 400mm lens, I have a Right Angle lens. Great for shy subjects.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

  3. #13
    dmr
    dmr is offline
    dmr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    I miss going to the store I *think* on 32nd street? Or was it like 18th street around the block from old B&H?
    Ooops, there goes my age....
    The main shop was out in Flushing, and I only remember visiting that once, but I was a semi-regular at the Manhattan store when I was in my late teens. IIRC it was 31st or 32nd, between 6th and 7th, roughly across the street from Willoughbys, where I was a semi-regular customer as well.

    Fred Spira passed away recently, and his son posted a note here in a thread on the subject. Search and you will find.

  4. #14
    bsdunek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,111
    Images
    194
    I still use many Spiratone filters I bought in the 70's. Seem to be fine as they were dyed glass, not laminated. They did have a lot of neat stuff - I loved their catalog.
    Bruce

    Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!


    BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

  5. #15
    eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,586
    Images
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr View Post
    teens. IIRC it was 31st or 32nd, between 6th and 7th, roughly across the street from Willoughbys, where I was a semi-regular customer as well.

    .
    Yep that was it. Around near Macy's. Down the block from Olden Camera. I forgot about the Queens one. I never really ventured to Queens back then. There was also, I think, an article on NYTimes about Spira passing away. Must be in the online archives.

  6. #16
    Monophoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,691
    Images
    44
    I remember them well. Never got into the store, but did a lot of mailorder business with them.

    The last thing I bought from them was a motor drive for my Nikon FM-2. And both it and the camera are still going strong.
    Louie

  7. #17
    dmr
    dmr is offline
    dmr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Anybody besides me still have their 400mm "sharpshooter"?
    If that is the lens I'm thinking of, my brother had one of them for his Pentax. The one I'm thinking of was a huge honking ultra-cheap telephoto. I thought it was 300mm, but it could have been 400mm.

    This was what he called his "beach lens" for obvious reasons. Today he would probably get arrested as a perv. (Yeah, boys will be boys!)

    The thing that was funny about this lens is that it had an incredibly funky two-ring aperture stop mechanism. It did not have any stop-down coupling to the camera.

  8. #18
    David A. Goldfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    17,234
    Images
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr View Post
    The thing that was funny about this lens is that it had an incredibly funky two-ring aperture stop mechanism. It did not have any stop-down coupling to the camera.
    Komura made teles with a "preset aperture" mechanism like that--one ring to set the shooting aperture and one without click stops to open the lens for focusing. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the manufacturer.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

  9. #19
    VaryaV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,256
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    I remember all the awful filters they sold for fans of lurid colors. Who wouldn't want a pink-purple polarizer? They also sold that ridiculously obvious right angle attachment for lenses--"Lady, I'm NOT taking photos of you. Really."
    One of the really cool things I inherited from my dad was a box of Spiratone filters in "lurid colors," rainbow effects and some other totally 70's effects. Cheesy, yes but funky too. Someday, no doubt, they will have a cult following.
    I wish this stuff would make a come-back.

    There are also some other Spiratone gizmo's in that box I have no idea what they are.
    Last edited by VaryaV; 01-28-2009 at 11:46 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: thoughts

  10. #20
    Barry S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    DC Metro
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,252
    Images
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by VaryaV View Post
    One of the really cool things I inherited from my dad was a box of Spiratone filters in "lurid colors," rainbow effects and some other totally 70's effects. Cheesy, yes but funky too. Someday, no doubt, they will have a cult following.
    I wish this stuff would make a come-back.

    There are also some other Spiratone gizmo's in that box I have no idea what they are.
    You could start the Spiratone cult with your stash. A flickr group and a facebook page--that's all you need. Everything else from the 60's and 70's has been recycled. Post some photos of the unidentified gizmos and we can ID 'em.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin