Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,985   Online: 985

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I remember all the awful filters they sold for fans of lurid colors. Who wouldn't want a pink-purple polarizer? They also sold that ridiculously obvious right angle attachment for lenses--"Lady, I'm NOT taking photos of you. Really."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Besides the 400mm lens, I have a Right Angle lens. Great for shy subjects.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    I miss going to the store I *think* on 32nd street? Or was it like 18th street around the block from old B&H?
    Ooops, there goes my age....
    The main shop was out in Flushing, and I only remember visiting that once, but I was a semi-regular at the Manhattan store when I was in my late teens. IIRC it was 31st or 32nd, between 6th and 7th, roughly across the street from Willoughbys, where I was a semi-regular customer as well.

Fred Spira passed away recently, and his son posted a note here in a thread on the subject. Search and you will find.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I still use many Spiratone filters I bought in the 70's. Seem to be fine as they were dyed glass, not laminated. They did have a lot of neat stuff - I loved their catalog.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr View Post
    teens. IIRC it was 31st or 32nd, between 6th and 7th, roughly across the street from Willoughbys, where I was a semi-regular customer as well.

Yep that was it. Around near Macy's. Down the block from Olden Camera. I forgot about the Queens one. I never really ventured to Queens back then. There was also, I think, an article on NYTimes about Spira passing away. Must be in the online archives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I remember them well. Never got into the store, but did a lot of mailorder business with them.

The last thing I bought from them was a motor drive for my Nikon FM-2. And both it and the camera are still going strong.
    Louie

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Anybody besides me still have their 400mm "sharpshooter"?
    If that is the lens I'm thinking of, my brother had one of them for his Pentax. The one I'm thinking of was a huge honking ultra-cheap telephoto. I thought it was 300mm, but it could have been 400mm.

This was what he called his "beach lens" for obvious reasons. Today he would probably get arrested as a perv. (Yeah, boys will be boys!)

The thing that was funny about this lens is that it had an incredibly funky two-ring aperture stop mechanism. It did not have any stop-down coupling to the camera.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr View Post
    The thing that was funny about this lens is that it had an incredibly funky two-ring aperture stop mechanism. It did not have any stop-down coupling to the camera.
    Komura made teles with a "preset aperture" mechanism like that--one ring to set the shooting aperture and one without click stops to open the lens for focusing. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the manufacturer.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    I remember all the awful filters they sold for fans of lurid colors. Who wouldn't want a pink-purple polarizer? They also sold that ridiculously obvious right angle attachment for lenses--"Lady, I'm NOT taking photos of you. Really."
    One of the really cool things I inherited from my dad was a box of Spiratone filters in "lurid colors," rainbow effects and some other totally 70's effects. Cheesy, yes but funky too. Someday, no doubt, they will have a cult following.
    I wish this stuff would make a come-back.

There are also some other Spiratone gizmo's in that box I have no idea what they are.
    Last edited by VaryaV; 01-28-2009 at 11:46 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: thoughts

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VaryaV View Post
    One of the really cool things I inherited from my dad was a box of Spiratone filters in "lurid colors," rainbow effects and some other totally 70's effects. Cheesy, yes but funky too. Someday, no doubt, they will have a cult following.
    I wish this stuff would make a come-back.

There are also some other Spiratone gizmo's in that box I have no idea what they are.
    You could start the Spiratone cult with your stash. A flickr group and a facebook page--that's all you need. Everything else from the 60's and 70's has been recycled. Post some photos of the unidentified gizmos and we can ID 'em.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin