Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,718   Posts: 1,514,837   Online: 944

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still miss them. I used to go to their Manhattan store quite often throughout my High School/College years. My favorite regular purchase was their offering of "colored" B&W papers - I still have a print or two. I also still have those funky colored filters that I used only once just for fun (once was enough!). Most of my early gear and supplies were purchased at Spiratone, 47th Street Photo, Olden, B&H (way Downtown -maybe their first store). At some point and for a brief time, Olden had the best Darkroom Dept. ...but I digress...

Shooter
    35mm
    The Queens store was tiny. It was located on Northern Boulevard in Flushing,
    one mile east of Shea Stadium (R.I.P.) and one block west of Main Street.

Chris

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Komura made teles with a "preset aperture" mechanism like that--one ring to set the shooting aperture and one without click stops to open the lens for focusing. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the manufacturer.
    Back in the day preset aperature lenses were made by a variety of manufacturers. I had (still have actually) the 400/6.3 Spiratone lens, no way I can believe Komura made that, the 400's build quality just isn't all that good. Komura was a quality manufacturer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    By golly, I guess I must remember them too -- was just fumbling through a closet and found two telephotos I used with my Konica FP "back when."
    A 200mm f4.5 and a 105mm f2.5. I thought they were T-mount; had adapted the 200 for an FD mount, but never did much with it. The 105 is missing its adapter and the one off the 200 doesn't quite want to go on the 105, so maybe they're "not quite T-mount."

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was digging through some of my old gear a couple days ago, and came across yet another nifty Spiratone device -- a telescope adapter for T-mount thread telephotos. It threads onto the T-mount threads, and has a built-in eyepiece with diopter correction. Works pretty well as I dimly recall --been years. I have an equally old 500/5.6 preset telephoto that I've used it with to observe the moon.

Best,

Michael

Shooter
    35mm

Spiratone size

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post
    The Queens store was tiny. It was located on Northern Boulevard in Flushing,
    one mile east of Shea Stadium (R.I.P.) and one block west of Main Street.

Chris

The Queens store was small, but the building, which contained Spiratone's main offices, was fairly big. And the nearby warehouse was also big. The Manhattan operation was quite small by comparison. The store may have been bigger, but the whole thing was 1/20th the size of what was in Flushing.

When I have some time, I'll scan some old Spiratone catalogs and ads and post them at spiratone.net (nothing is there now, but I do own the domain)

Greg Spira
    gspiraatgmail

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Greg

It will be neat to see the old ads and help jog my memory.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm

Good Ole Spiratone

I bought my first camera in 1967 (35mm Mamiya/Sekor mailordered from Chicago to Louisiana) and proceeded to teach myself photography. Spiratone was this magic place in far away New York City that seemed to have everything I could ever possibly need and was affordable. I eventually moved to NYC and one of the great things was being able to go to both the mid-town store and the flushing store. I purchased a lot of stuff there -- lenses, flashes, umbrellas, flash and light meters -- more than I can recall. I still have most of this stuff in the basement though the old Mamiya eventually died and was replaced with a Nikon -- and most recently Canon equipment. That old 400mm 6.3 lens was amazing (for the money) boy what I could capture with it. Not really much of a lens by today's standards, but I took some of my best potraits with that lens -- believe it or not! Spiratone really was a gods send for us beginning photographers who had NO MONEY. I do miss that "wish book".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When I have some time, I'll scan some old Spiratone catalogs and ads and post them at spiratone.net (nothing is there now, but I do own the domain)

Greg Spira
    gspiraatgmail[/QUOTE]

Dear Mr. Spira,

I found your post on Spiratone Catalogs you said you'd scan and post on spiratone.net website. Will you ever get some time to do so? I am sure
    many APUG and other phot forum members would be delighted to download them, in memory of the late Mr. Spira and a great photo store he run
    in New York.
    I visited it once only, on my first visit to the US, in 1988. I read about it in Popular Photography for years before (I am from Europe) and was delighted to see it in person. It was more impressive than B+H at that time....
    Thank you in advance!

Milo

Shooter
    35mm
    If when perusing the old catalogs you see any information re:100mm Portragon filter size, I would appreciate it. Great little lens, obviously threaded for some size filter. I have the box and packaging material but no instructions (not sure if it came with any). Thanks!

Mark

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin