Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,525   Online: 1108

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Still have my Colorflow filters - groovy!

And lots of other Spiratone goodies I inherited from my dad - Bellowscope and 150mm Macrotel short-mount lens, lots of filters in odd sizes (that's where I stocked up on Series V filters for my dad's Kodak Signet 35!) and adapters and stuff, Vario-Dupliscope, Vignetar. I can probably find other pieces if I dig deep enough in my junk boxes. We stayed away from the SLR lenses and the darkroom gear, but the other knick-knacks were handy and serviceable enough.

Shooter
    35mm

In Modern Photography

Hi. Yes, I miss getting my copy of Modern Photography and looking at the advertisements. Spiratone had great things to buy, especially for a beginner in 35 mm photography. I still have 2 of the cameras I bought from them. One was a Hanimex Practica Nova 1b; I also bought a 135 mm hanimar telephoto with a Pentax screw mount. That camera and lens weighed a ton and if I didn't snap the picture, I started getting the shakes!@ But, it was a great camera to learn on and it took pretty good snapshots. I also bought a Zenit B. This was a Russian 35 mm camera body that I used for astro pictures of the moon. I was kinda of clunky, but it worked!
    I guess the Internet has killed catalogs, magazine and ordering through the mail. I was the waiting for your order to come and then tearing the box open to see your new camera! Sigh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember Spiratone's ads in American Photo magazines, but being in the U.K I never bought anything from them.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Apparently, the value of Spiratone lenses has gone up with time:
    @Rare@ Spiratone Telephoto YS 135mm f/1.8 fit Nikon F

Buy it Now US $871.20

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380469542692...692%26_rdc%3D1

Shooter
    35mm
    It was nice to see this thread - which my younger brother Greg (under the same user name) posted in a few years ago. Sadly, Greg passed away a few months ago.

Greg and I established a Facebook page for Spiratone a few years ago - and I have a bunch of scanned ads and catalogues that someone was kind enough to send us. Go to http://www.facebook.com/Spiratone and click on "like" if you wish!

We own spiratone.net so we will eventually (excuse me I will eventually) try to put the information up there, as I did promise Greg I would complete the task.

I'm happy to address any questions about Spiratone items as well, or at least try to. And I'll be using this user name so hope to hear from you.

Jonathan Spira

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Funny, my brother and I were talking about Spiratone just the other day and how much we missed it. There are so many names that are gone now, I'm glad to hear that you are keeping the Spiratone memory alive.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As a young teen interested in photography, it was a a great source of fun to look thru the Spiratone ad each month to see what goodies one might have lust for the unobtainable.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank C View Post
    I'm glad to hear that you are keeping the Spiratone memory alive.
    Thanks. I am trying to the extent possible

Shooter
    35mm
    I think a website cataloguing Spiratone's products and history would be invaluable for collectors and users alike. I hope to see it up someday.

Shooter
    35mm RF

spiratone

Quote Originally Posted by Yashinoff View Post
    I think a website cataloguing Spiratone's products and history would be invaluable for collectors and users alike. I hope to see it up someday.
    I sure miss them. A website would be great.

Fortunately, I still use Spiratone equipment I bought for my first darkroom setup in 1958 or 1959, so they are not forgotten for me. My timer for print fixing, some trays, etc.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin