Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,513   Online: 875

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I was just getting started into serious photography, I had my car broken into while was in Cornwall going to visit my sister after attending a Fay Godwin Lecture. I had a bed roll on the back seat and was using a loaner hasselblad system from a friend (Vinylman) and my 35mm Pentax system was stolen from iside the bedroll!! It was actually kind of an omen as the insurance kicked in and I was able to replace the pentax with a contax 139Q and a few lenses. I then purchased the hasselbald from APUG'er (Vinylman) and never looked back.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Somebody broke into our storage in the basement a few weeks ago, rummaging around and when they found my halfplate Fidelity holders, a Schneider 50 mm lens from the 60's with a lensboard for a Durst 606, a condenser for the same enlarger, they took it all and ran like h*ll. I hope they know what it is and know how to use it.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Had my Jeep CJ7 broken into back in the late 70's & they stole my FTB, a couple of lenses & a brand new Yashicamat 124G all in a large Orvis camera bag! I had it hidden in the back area & they did not take any fly rods or CB radio. CB radios where big back then.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I was working in Italy as a PJ in the mid 80s I had a Lieca GIII and Canon 7s ripped off at my Villa when I was out of country covering a story. After 911 I was doing a shoot in LA, and SouthWest would not let me carry on by bag with my F3j and lens, forced to put in check baggage along with my 4X5 gear, the 4X5 made it the F3J did not.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Stuff stolen? Yes, but thankfully not for a few years and never any camera stuff. (knocking on wood)
    Let's see...lots of calculators stolen in high school...my parents thought I was giving them away or maybe a complete dolt.
    Years later my two roommates and I had our apartment broken into while we were home and sleeping. We didn't have many belongings to start with so they got an excellent haul of crappy stuff. They came in through a window on a sad little ladder and left the front door wide open...how rude! I can't now recall how we called the police because the silly robbers took our phone too...

I'd have to say the very worst thing we've had stolen (and most humiliating) was my hubby's grandfather's car he loaned us for the weekend. We drove it to Halifax, parked it in the Subway lot and the next morning...no more car. Thankfully hubby convinced me to take all my Nikon stuff out of the trunk the night before. (cold sweats thinking about it) But just to twist the knife a little deeper...that was also grandpa's birthday. Nice present...set of car keys...no car
    Every time I visit Nova Scotia now I think about that $%#@ car!

Burglars broke into our rented house when my spouse and I were first married. Stole little things, jewelery, rummaged around a lot. They apparently never went upstairs, where I kept all my camera gear. I've had two or three car break-ins, one while parked at a trailhead. Most valuable thing in the car at the time was a pair of used sneakers, which were taken.

Had my car stolen once from right in front of the photo studio where I worked. It had rained lightly just prior to the theft, so all that remained of my car when I left work was a dry spot on the pavement. Car was found abandoned a month later somewhat worse for wear.

I've been very fortunate to never have had camera gear stolen. I count myself lucky. Either that, or my turn just hasn't come yet.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnJazz View Post
    You didn't take him to court?
    Across state lines, any chance of success requires a lawyer. I'd even out him, if I thought it'd do any good, though I do ask my friends not to buy I*$%&D digital papers, as he's a upper echelon management type for the US distributor. Sad thing is the guy makes enough money to have bought all of it, without even impacting his lifestyle. It took me a decade to get to that point, working side jobs and earning extra here and there. A disheartening experience to say the least.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I must say for a post I started less than 24 hours ago this sure got alot of responses. Must be alot of theives in the world or people just wanting to get into Photograghy but just don't want to work for it.
    Leslie D. Wall
    AKA DeBone75

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzart View Post
    In 1965, I had three photographs stolen off the wall of the art department at San Francisco State...
    Bummer... When I had my 5x7 kit stolen out of my truck, the thieves added insult to injury -- they did not steal my framed photograph I had with the gear. Obviously they had no taste...

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1 View Post
    Look what happened to this poor guy in L.A. recently- http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...006266767.html
    Ouch. Never good to learn about backups the hard way.

For the record- never had any camera equipment stolen. I probably just jinxed myself.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin