Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,967   Online: 725

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Bummer... When I had my 5x7 kit stolen out of my truck, the thieves added insult to injury -- they did not steal my framed photograph I had with the gear. Obviously they had no taste...

Vaughn
    You know, it is weird. There were a bunch of photographs up from several of us students. One other person lost one photograph; I lost the three. It is a very strange feeling to realize that the photographs reached someone enough that they were compelled to rip them off the wall, but at the same time, I would have liked to have them acquire them another way. I got some insurance money, but it hardly filled the mental void that appeared with the disappearance of the work. Same with the piece stolen from SAM. Of course, that has the additional cachet: "I had a piece stolen from the Seattle Art Museum".

Regarding taste, I think there is a difference between thieves who'd steal art off the wall and those who raid cars. Some years back, a friend's old VW bug, kept in the greatest shape, had its windshield broken and there was blood all over the place. The individual who broke in payed rather heavily for his fruitless efforts; nothing was in there that was worth stealing. The irony: The door hadn't been locked. He didn't think to try it before smashing his way in and cutting himself up.

Duh.... Taste?

Of course there are professionals. They are efficient and they know what they can sell. That's different. I doubt they'd take my photographs either.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No.
    And better not anyone try.
    I have booby-trapped my apartment and my pockets, have a high degree in six martial arts and can use anything as a weapon, including a strand of hair, have a detachment of merciless Mongol warriors on standby and have tagged every single thing I own (including each page of every book and notepad) with high-tec RFID/GPS transmitters and can fry the thief from orbit with a satellite laser.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No photo equipment, but I did have a car stolen. Got it back the next day, minus the wheels, stereo, change, jack, and other stuff. On the plus side I got 3 new spare tires that they used to drive it away after stripping it. No insurance on that so I got nothing better from it. Now I insure my cameras so I don't expect them to be stolen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Yes.... For all the stuff I can't find, someone may as well have stolen it!
    Steve.
    My digital camera has been missing for months -

Needless to say, I haven't missed it.
    Last edited by VaryaV; 01-28-2009 at 01:56 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: thoughts

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    No.
    And better not anyone try.
    I have booby-trapped my apartment and my pockets, have a high degree in six martial arts and can use anything as a weapon, including a strand of hair, have a detachment of merciless Mongol warriors on standby and have tagged every single thing I own (including each page of every book and notepad) with high-tec RFID/GPS transmitters and can fry the thief from orbit with a satellite laser.
    You're hired!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    and can fry the thief from orbit with a satellite laser.
    Not if I'm wearing my mirror suit!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Not if I'm wearing my mirror suit!
    Yes, but I didn't mention my backup sharks with freaking lasers on their heads, that can bite your bum off if the beam doesn't work.

And Varya, if you're paying well, consider my minions, security installations and other special services to be at your disposal.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    London, circa 1990. Burglary. My first 'proper' camera a Pentax K1000, which had been a present from my father, and an Olympus system I'd begun to build around an OM4. All un-insured. It took me a few years to claw my way back. Note to self: check insurance policies are up to date.

I've now got a Nikon sytem, most of which was bought new, but I wonder how many of us are innocently using equipment that was once cherished by another victim.

I didn't acquire my medium format gear new, but I know it came from a good home. It was previously owned by a police force scene of crimes unit, and I got it as a job lot at auction. I often wonder what grisly sights it's been exposed to. In fact one of the film backs had a partly exposed C41 roll still inside. I thought of getting it processed, but lost my nerve. Imagine the explaining I might have had to do. It's bound to be of something perfectly innocuous, but I think I'll have to pluck up the courage to process it myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A friend had his truck broken into they took a complete nikon system and a pair a nike's. The thief left an old pair of shoes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not for several years, and never anything photographic.

When I was younger and living as a student or just starting out, I suffered a number of car break-ins and lost a car stereo or two.

Most recently, there was a break-in in the secured car parking area for our condominium. A couple of things were taken from cars. They included a bag of things from one car owned by a young couple who are our neighbours.

I wonder what the thief did with the breast pump he/she obtained:o?

Matt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin