Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,557   Posts: 1,573,251   Online: 965

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzart View Post
    The AHD traces it back to latin "burgulator", which the OED seems to clarify as Latin used in English law.
    That makes sense. Thanks to the battle of Hastings in 1066 and subsequent events, a lot of 'legal speak' in the UK became a mixture of English and Norman French - hence the latin connections.

Interesting account of the development of English 'legal speak' here: http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=1&gl=uk

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 01-29-2009 at 02:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

Interesting account of the development of English 'legal speak' here: http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=1&gl=uk

Steve.
    Thanks! Really interesting.

In the opening example about the sale of the orange, though, the author omitted something. Today, that text would precede a disclaimer, which would be at least twice as long!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never heard "burgle" used - but I do love "burglarious" - must adopt...... you guys are hilarious..!

Thanks for sharing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This was my favourite bit:

The Parliament of the United Kingdom tried 3 times to change the language of the law by legislation.

The first attempt was the Statute of Pleading in 1362. It decried the use of French (although was written in French).

Quote Originally Posted by VaryaV View Post
    I've never heard "burgle" used.
    Burgle as a word is very common in the UK as is burgled. Burglarised is never used. I can't imagine burglarious or burglariously is ever used in the US or the UK (except in forum threads veering off on tangents).

EDIT: Notice how I used an English version of a word we don't use? Should have written burglarized!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

(except in forum threads veering off on tangents).

Steve.
    I am a big fan of tangents myself and see the occasional need to veer............

subject for a new thread perhaps?......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Without tangents, it gets pretty dry. Bringing it back is the test of one's skill as a facilitator. Your turn!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I prefer to Vector rather than Tangent.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I enjoy just Wandering, myself...
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, actually, just last night...my Bronica SQ-Ai system - the got the body, 220 film back, 80mm lens, motor grip, waist level viewfinder AND my metered prism finder.

I saw this thread earlier but didn't have a story to tell, now I do...here it goes:

I went out with my girlfriend to shoot a relatively local electronic band called 'Boytech' at a club where I knew about 70% of the people - it's a small place and the crowd wasn't large so I felt pretty comfortable having my equipment there. After a small row with my lady friend over how I wasn't paying enough attention to her I chased after her outside where she was trying to hail a cab - I was going to either wait with her to grab a cab or until she was ready to go back inside. I had left my camera bag on a table by the 'dj booth' - my camera was assembled sitting next to it. After about 15 minutes of pacing outside in the cold I convinced her to come back to the bar where I found my bag but no camera - they had even reached in my bag to grab the metered prism viewfinder as well...they left the 150mm lens and 120 film back that was tucked away in another compartment.

Well I talked to everyone I could who worked there but they all just shrugged their shoulders. I obviously had a very good look around to see if anyone was carrying that hard-to-conceal piece of equipment but couldn't find it. I received much compassion and helpful words from those around me but left with my head still in the 'what just happened?' state.

In terms of new equipment it's still to early to tell...I'll either buy back my SQ-Ai (with the 50-100mm zoom instead of the 80mm) or...well...I don't know. I was just beginning to make a reputation for myself documenting the small, independent art and music scene here in London, Ontario ~ and one of the worst parts of all of this was that I had shot most of the roll that was in the camera...never going to see how those turned out.
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    @Derek, sounds like your ladyfriend needs replacement along with your other gear!
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin