Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,110   Online: 847

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've never had any camera equipment stolen but havn't had camera equipment for too long and tend to keep it attached to me when I'm not home!

I did have my apartment broken into when I was younger and had my flute and my grandmothers wedding ring stolen along with a multide of other things. That theft really changed the coarse of my life. I was a college student double majoring in music and art. Flute was my major instrument. I ended up dropping out of college. Of course not just because of the theft but it all helped in the decision. I was able to replace the flute a few years later but never was able to get back into it like I had been. I am acctually glad that I didn't continue in my art training. I like my career choice now and would prefere to keep my art for fun!

I also had a car stolen. It was the ugliest big yellow boat with brown vinal top and stripe down the side. We called it the big bannana! I was amazed that anyone would take it. We found it ourselves a few days later out of gas on the other side of town. No worse for ware. I think someone just needed a ride to the other side of town! I drove that thing for a couple more years!

Lori

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was the victim of a classic scam last year. Sitting at an outdoor cafe in Madrid with camera bag next to me, I notice a young man and woman in the street about 30 feet away. She slams down a book, the loud 'smack' catching everyone's attention. He picks it up, and they walk off quickly in opposite directions. And my bag containing Minolta 28mm/f2.0 AF and 50 mm/2.8 macro lenses is gone. The entire episode lasted 10 seconds. Both lenses were in like-new condition. I eventually replaced them with less pristine versions. Lesson learned!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A miracle has happen, DPD made an inquiry and discovered the parcel in the lorry. The driver just kept it for a whole week in an big basket, along with other 'undeliverable parcels', in the back of his lorry, waiting that soon or later he could deliver it somewhere, strange way of handling...
    So everything is OK now.
    Needless to say how lucky I was!

Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My virginity!

Oh, yes, a new pair of skis and ski boots.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes I was burgled about twenty five years ago and lost a big Nikon system, it's still too painful to think about even after all this time.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No camera equipment has yet been stolen from me, but about a month ago, just a few hours before shooting a short film, a prop got stolen.
    A black suitcase filled to the edge with fake money. Really fake fake, as just printed with an inkjet printer.
    Bad timing, but I could laugh about it. I wonder how his or her response was, opening the suitcase for the first time..

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, having watched this thread and thought 'there but by the grace of God...', thanks to the little scrotes who burgled my house yesterday afternoon (expletives don't exist to express my opinion of them) I can safely say the answer is now 'yes'.

Fortunately as far as I can see so far they didn't take any film gear - a couple of digital cameras, computers, games console, cash, etc. etc. etc. gone (oh yes, and they took my wife's and my sense of security too of course)... But remarkably my pride and joy - Canon EOS-1V and 85mm/f1.2L - sat on the table ignored.

To my surprise - and gratitude - the police have taken it seriously and have done the full-CSI routine (doing casts of the toolmarks where they broke in, recording footprints, fingerprinting everything etc.,) but I get the impression they're rushed off their feet. Apparently the 'credit crunch' is leading to something of an upsurge in property crime...

Not a happy bunny. Just praying they don't return to finish the job .

Does anyone know if arrangements of crossbows triggered by tripwires are legal in the UK...?
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_walls View Post
    Does anyone know if arrangements of crossbows triggered by tripwires are legal in the UK...?
    I think you know they're not!!!. Isn't quite covered by the term 'reasonable force'.

What about an array of high power flashes at every entrance triggered by a contact on the door or window?

May as well put cameras in there too and get some pictures of them.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_walls View Post
    Well, having watched this thread and thought 'there but by the grace of God...', thanks to the little scrotes who burgled my house yesterday afternoon (expletives don't exist to express my opinion of them) I can safely say the answer is now 'yes'.

Fortunately as far as I can see so far they didn't take any film gear - a couple of digital cameras, computers, games console, cash, etc. etc. etc. gone (oh yes, and they took my wife's and my sense of security too of course)... But remarkably my pride and joy - Canon EOS-1V and 85mm/f1.2L - sat on the table ignored.

To my surprise - and gratitude - the police have taken it seriously and have done the full-CSI routine (doing casts of the toolmarks where they broke in, recording footprints, fingerprinting everything etc.,) but I get the impression they're rushed off their feet. Apparently the 'credit crunch' is leading to something of an upsurge in property crime...

Not a happy bunny. Just praying they don't return to finish the job .

Sorry to hear about youre loss Tim, I feel your pain having been burgled myself several times and I'm sorry too that booby traps with crossbows are illegal, I recall a few years ago someone who had a holiday home in Wales who rigged up a loaded shot gun in a blanket box after the place had been broken in to a couple of times before, the next thief got both barrels at point blank range, and the home owner got life for murder. I think the only thing one can do is make your house as secure as possible, buy a good alarm system, and be well insured
    Last edited by benjiboy; 02-07-2009 at 05:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yep, in a big way. It was 1988 while I was in the Navy serving on the USS America (carrier). We were in port at Norfolk----I had a Canon A-1 with motordrive, 200mm f4;50mm f1.4; 28mm and a Domke bag stolen from me. It was sickening.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin