Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,555   Online: 1003

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb View Post
    I think you should be angry about the hydrogen-bonding tendency of the water molecule, which has caused its freezing point to be far above that of non-polar molecules of similar molecular weight....
    Hmmm, without that hydrogen bonding, a bunch of biological processes don't work. So, without hydrogen bonding, none of us would be here.

Lets call it a tie.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Hmmm, without that hydrogen bonding, a bunch of biological processes don't work. So, without hydrogen bonding, none of us would be here.

Lets call it a tie.
    Not a bad tradeoff, Nigel!

For some reason, though not much stuck with me from chemistry classes, I was always fascinated with hydrogen bonding--how it accounted for so many physical characteristics of molecules.

Water wouldn't be a liquid at room temperature without it, since most other substances with a similar molecular weight are gases. Fascinating.

No question, we aqueous humans wouldn't be around without it. Nor much of anything else as we know it.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin