Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,965   Posts: 1,523,317   Online: 1197

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

What do You Think?

Monday night I wrecked my truck on the highway. I was driving and hit a patch of black ice, began to slide and fish-tail. Next, the truck made from four to five 360 revolutions. There were no other vehicles in front of me. The entire time I remained calm as I could, and steered the truck to the best of my abilities.

After the last 360, I thought I had control of the truck, but it began to fish-tail and slide again, and I knew that I was going to crash into the guard rail, which I did.
    I unhitched my seat belt, exited the truck and inspected it.

The front grill and fender were bent and warped, the hood was damaged, the bumper dented and torn from the truck, and the right tail end was completely smashed along with too many other things to list.

I was happy that I or no one else was injured, but upon noticing the damage I became extremely ANGRY at myself. ANGRY...but not for what you might think. I was ANGRY at myself because I reached for my Pentax-K-1000 only to realize that moments earlier I removed it from my truck and left it at home. To make matters worse, there was a roll of film staring me in the face, but I had no camera with me.

What do you think? Should I have been angry about the damaged truck, or for not having my camera with me?

Jamusu.
    Last edited by jamusu; 01-28-2009 at 06:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, if the camera had been with you, would it have flown around in the cab while you spun? Or slammed to the floor? That might have had a worse ending. Maybe leaving it home saved it for another shot you have yet to see.
    What matters, of course, is that you're ok. Since you are, I guess you can be ticked at whichever you choose, though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jamusu View Post
    What do you think? Should I have been angry about the damaged truck, or for not having my camera with me?
    Personal experience - not any deep psychological insight, so the shrinks will probably be along in 5 minutes to tell me I'm completely wrong (or to take me away) - after scaring yourself shitless, it's quite normal to vent/get angry/release frustration on something trivial like whether or not you remember your camera or whatever.

I guess it's a natural diversionary technique for the mind to choose to concentrate on something 'manageable' rather than the considerably more stressful subject of what actually just happened.
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    35mm
    Do you have a cell phone? If so, does it have a camera?

In a situation such as you went through - it's okay to shoot digital.

In fact, it's probably preferable so that you can upload pics to the insurer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think you should be angry about the hydrogen-bonding tendency of the water molecule, which has caused its freezing point to be far above that of non-polar molecules of similar molecular weight....

It could be worse; there could have been a d-----l camera on the front seat with a dead battery.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Bethe. At least you're not hurt. To bad about your truck, repairs can be quite pricey. If you got decent insurance you'll be alright.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A 360 or two, huh? Then bang. Oh dear. Yes, always carry a loaded camera, digital or film it don't matter.
    In an accident, that little companion will be an extremely useful device to have around. One recent nasty accident here in country Victoria (Australia) saw the front seat passenger decapitated after the guardrail jacked up through the windscreen and — — —! Moral: Just be grateful you're still around and put the psychological shock behind you.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Points well taken everyone.

Jamusu.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb View Post
    I think you should be angry about the hydrogen-bonding tendency of the water molecule, which has caused its freezing point to be far above that of non-polar molecules of similar molecular weight....

It could be worse; there could have been a d-----l camera on the front seat with a dead battery.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    Hilarious!!

Jamusu.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When something similar happened to me I just started walking. Didn't turn around until I figured I would freeze in the blizzard I was trying to walk in. Of course trying to walk off the 401 during the middle of rush hour wasn't the smartest thing either :rolleyes:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin