Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,605   Online: 832

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Film and water

Shooter
    35mm

Film and water

This didn't fit in either B&W or color.

What happens if you get film wet before exposure? After exposure?

What about B&W/C41/E6; what difference does that make?

Say I drop my camera in a lake, are the pictures toast?

I always hear about people freezing film. Here in TX, when you get something out of the freezer, it instantly starts dripping water. Do people not worry about this?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I never tried dropping my film in a lake, before or after exposure.

But i do keep it in the freezer.
    The rather simple solution to the condensation problem that presents itself when you take something out of the freezer is to keep the packing closed until the thing has warmed up.
    That way, the condensation still forms. But the thing that the condensation is dripping off is the outside of the packing. What's inside will remain as dry as it was when it went into the freezer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Getting film wet does not change the latent image. Remember that film spends the most interesting part of its life in water (dilute developer, then fixer, then wash). The swelling of the gelatin could be useful for some strange process, if done properly, but I wouldn't expect much damage at all if film is submerged either before or after exposure. Of course, I'm not that picky.

Shooter
    35mm
    Wouldn't it matter what the water was, too? Like its pH and stuff? Whether it was saltwater? I've heard stories about how you develop film in orange juice and coffee, but I'm not sure if they are true anyway.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had some Velvia 100 on 120 spools which got soaked by rain (in a leaking bag) after exposure. There are no signs of any adverse effects.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    coffee and washing soda (sodium carbonate pH ~11, not sodium bicarbonate which is baking soda) does develop film. Not tried the orange juice thing.
    You might have problems with the film sticking to itself with 35mm, or the paper in the case of 120 film. not really played with it, though. I've read of someone who ran a film through the washing machine, tried to get it processed, wouldn't let them, so they put some rice and the film in a sealed bag and left it (since rice absorbs moisture, like in salt shakers) and forgot about it and it grew all sorts of mould and it caused weird crazing on the film and strange colours.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    The rather simple solution to the condensation problem that presents itself when you take something out of the freezer is to keep the packing closed until the thing has warmed up.
    That way, the condensation still forms. But the thing that the condensation is dripping off is the outside of the packing. What's inside will remain as dry as it was when it went into the freezer.

You are correct. A lot of people worry about condensation thinking that because something has come out of the freezer, there must be ice involved, therefore there will be moisture when it warms up.

Condensation is from water vapour in the air which is at a higher temperature than the film and its packaging.

Of course, if you put a wet film into the freezer, that's another story!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    coffee and washing soda (sodium carbonate pH ~11, not sodium bicarbonate which is baking soda) does develop film. Not tried the orange juice thing.
    I have used coffee and caustic soda but not orange juice.

They claimed orange juice would work on an episode of Mythbusters but I think it would need some caustic soda too to get it more alkaline.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would not expect a film to come out perfect after it was dropped in the lake; simply because that water is not clean. Otherwise film getting contact with clean water before or after developing is normal, it should not change the pictures on it. About film in the freezer, as mentioned it should be stored there in a ziplock bag so condensation when taken out is formed on the ouside of the bag.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/4...developer.html for the oj developer thing
    there was someone here a while back who was doing all sorts of kitchen experiments with developing film.
    i think the best one was using rosemary ...
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/4...evelopers.html
    so if you are making a nice dinner, and you accidently drop your film into your cooking chicken
    you'll develop it by accident ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin