Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,993   Online: 810

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The next generation

I just thought I'd tell you about my experiences over the last couple of weeks. My daughter is in her third year of a Communications degree and is taking the introductory photography course. She's nicely outfitted with a Nikon N80 (which she picked up brand new at a bargain basement price) and a Blackbird, Fly camera. (which I didn't :rolleyes

Anyway, the long and the short of it is she's been coming home on the weekends (which is nice enough as it is) and working beside me in my darkroom. Though she insists on calling my developer "Art Stew", she is really getting some good results. She has a good eye for design and is not going to let a few failures deter her from experimenting with the craft in ways I might never consider.

Not to leave my son out of this bragging session either... he's a film writer/cinematographer who has no intention of abandoning film for a Red Cam anytime soon. (and he finally got his Masters, so now he can get a job. )

I have to say that daddy is a very proud fellow.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...That's awesome news. I went to high school in Ontario and University as well. In my final year of high school, they switched almost entirely to digital and in University, the darkroom was shut down in the architecture building. It seemed like film was being phased out of everything and strongly discouraged. It's good to see students keeping with film. I like the prospect of hope for the future with film.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even though digital has taken over, there are a good number of people still using film.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My local community college is just finishing up a major expansion and renovation of its art facilities. The old wet darkroom has been replaced -- by a larger wet darkroom. They fill a fair number of traditional photo classes every semester. I'm told this CC is the only one in Pennsylvania that offers an Associate in Fine Arts -- perhaps that biases the emphasis a bit.

DaveT

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I opened this and I thought it was going to be about the nexgen of capture. Figured what the heck. Then after reading it and saw it was Tom, shoulda known better.

Tom that is so cool. I hope one day to be able to have similar stories to share.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Film really is of great interest to the current generation of college students. I am not the only person shooting film (alongside digital) when I photograph concerts. When I got my photo degree in the late 1990s, I had to arrange an independent study in large format; now, at the same college (Appalachian State), it is a regular class with more than a dozen students each semester.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, I guess our continuing education system isn't all that bad. ;p
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post

I have to say that daddy is a very proud fellow.

Cheers,
    Lucky her.
    My dad no longer takes photos, I am now the photog of the family; He doesn't care about film anyways. Thanks to him I know how wonderful is film. He thinks that soon or late I will go digital, but come on; Got to take 6x6cm and 4x5" slides first.:rolleyes:
    And my uncle has been sucked by digital. Though he pays the development of the few rolls I shoot. I don't have time for drop the rolls at a lab, so he does.

I should find some serious film mates around here (physical life), all I know that most of them are rare, the father of a friend is still shooting his snaps in analog, with the "classic" kodak gold!
    The Spanish forums I know are dedicated to the other media; No one remembers film, the one that does says that it will disappear in few time and with luck I found a guy that shoots MF with a hassie.
    I stay here, it's like a home. I like to stay in the forum, this late, friday night. I have a feeling of staying in front of a fireplace, with it's lighting and nothing more. Strange, but I do feel this; and like it.
    Last edited by Prest_400; 02-13-2009 at 05:26 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: mispell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
    Lucky her.
    My dad no longer takes photos, I am now the photog of the family; He doesn't care about film anyways. Thanks to him I know how wonderful is film. He thinks that soon or late I will go digital, but come on; Got to take 6x6cm and 4x5" slides first.:rolleyes:
    And my uncle has been sucked by digital. Though he pays the development of the few rolls I shoot. I don't have time for drop the rolls at a lab, so he does.

I should find some serious film mates around here (physical life), all I know that most of them are rare, the father of a friend is still shooting his snaps in analog, with the "classic" kodak gold!
    The Spanish forums I know are dedicated to the other media; No one remembers film, the one that does says that it will disappear in few time and with luck I found a guy that shoots MF with a hassie.
    I stay here, it's like a home. I like to stay in the forum, this late, friday night. I have a feeling of staying in front of a fireplace, with it's lighting and nothing more. Strange, but I do feel this; and like it.
    Your comments remind me of how lucky we are to have this community online when our towns and cities seem to be forgetting the joys of film photography. I may go for weeks without meeting another traditional photographer, but one click of the mouse brings me challenge and inspiration and community enough to sustain me.

Keep shooting film, and be proud of your work. Enjoy it as a hobby, an art, a passion.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    35mm
    My university has gone almost entirely to digital. In my intro class I am the only one with a film camera

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin