Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,762   Online: 970

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Looking for mac-friendly slide-show software

I am hoping that someone can point me in the direction of affordable software similar to this .

I have found that nearly every gallery or magazine that I have dealt with wants me to submit a cd or dvd or just provide link to internet site to view images for evaluation. It is ironic to say the least, that my purely analog traditional prints require rendering on such media before they can even be considered, but that is the reality we live in. Although it is certainly easy enough to put jpegs on a cd and send it off, I would like to be able to include a little bit of editorial content and info. A pdf would be ideal because anyone can access it regardless of platform. But so far, I have not been able to determine whether I can burn a CD from any pdf I am able to make. Besides if it is neccessary to buy the full Acrobat software package from Adobe at US$600.00, it is out of the question.

I have found lots of programs to make terrific slide shows, with some added content, on the mac, and some that will even allow that to be burned to CD, but then it can only be viewed on another mac with similar software. I am looking for something that anyone can view and use a menu to selectively view.

Any suggestions ?
    Tim N. Roscoe

Celebrating
    Canadian Landscape

Shooter
    Multi Format
    openoffice.org is available for the Mac, and will produce a .pdf file from a spreadsheet, a text and/or image document, a graphics file, or a powerpoint type presentation. It's free and very capable. No need to pay adobe. Download the latest version, which is a native OS-X application.

You can burn a .pdf to a CD on a Mac, but I don't use Mac, so can't advise you on the exact steps for doing so.

Lee

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I second the use of openoffice.org Got it my self and is free to download and use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tim, have a look at Soundslides Plus. (http://www.soundslides.com/) I don't know if you want to add sound or not, but I've seen results from students that look terrific (some with a soundtrack). It is apparently, very easy to use (...students, few complaints) They have a Mac version and the price is not out of line with what it produces.

Dave

Images
    Have a look at PhototoMovie (http://www.lqgraphics.com/software/phototomovie.php). It is the closest I've seen to ProShow in terms of its features. More than just a lilbrary of transitions, PTM permits you to control the timing of the transitions in relation to the soundtrack, include voice overs, and the kicker feature is the ability to draw paths through the image, ie. Ken Burns. For historic photos with lots of interesting details, you can zoom in on a specific element, and move through the image. Really slick and only $50!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There's also Apple's own Keynote software, which is terrific - it's much easier/better than PowerPoint for making PowerPoint slides.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Doesn't iDVD (which comes with Mac OSX) do this?
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10."

Shooter
    35mm
    I second Keynote, though it is not free like openoffice is.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Boy, do I feel dumb ! You guys are right of course that Keynote does this and does it real well. I have Keynote and have used it several times, I just did not know that you could "export" as a pdf. Thanks for the tip.
    I do not know how you got "Open Office" for free, I looked at the website, it is certainly not free. Anyway, thank goodness for Keynote.
    Tim N. Roscoe

Celebrating
    Canadian Landscape

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

mac software

You mentioned Open Office not being free..

They want a user fee of a couple bucks, but if you bypass that screen, you can download it for free.

I have never used gallery software but have keynote and have done presentations in it..

I use Neo Office which is Open Office for the Mac..with no problems.

www.NeoOffice.org

Greg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin