Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,520,983   Online: 930

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I picked up a single-strap backpack at a bargain store for $5 or $10 a few years ago. It's big enough to hold one or two camera bodies and about as many lenses.

The drawbacks, to be honest, are that it's not quite big enough for my liking, and I would kind of appreciate some padding built in. I added a little padding to cushion some of the shocks, but I suppose I got enough for the price I paid.

The really nice thing about this pack (apart from the Canadian flag stitched on it... ) is that you can swing it around to rest on your tummy in crowded subways etc. and when it's in the front position, the zippers are very handy for removing gear without taking the pack off. This one is pretty much worn out, so I imagine in the not to distant future, I'll have to invest another $10.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks. There are some good suggestions here...I should perhaps elaborate. I'm going to Peru and am trying to not look like I have anything worth stealing. I think that anything that looks like a lap top bag might be in the same category as a camera bag...I have an old back pack that I used last time but it is such a hassle to have to put it down, open it up and balance it while trying to swap a lens (for example). I want to be able to grab a camera out of the bag, shoot, and quickly return camera to bag.

I like the Domke F-6 "Little Smaller" bag...but, not if it's going to draw attention.

A tool bag from the Army/Navy surplus store might fit the bill...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You might want to go into your local Babies R Us (or equivalent) and check out the diaper bags. They look like the only things they're holding is diapers, they often have an insulated pocket (nice for film) and you can add cardboard and foam dividers and cushioning with velcro as you see fit.

Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I'm going to Peru and am trying to not look like I have anything worth stealing.
    well, an american going to peru will look as if he had a lot worth stealing, bag or no bag

be aware of your surroundings, don't go places you wouldn't visit in your home town, and as to the bag--get one that is comfortable to carry. after two decades of foot-travel i ended up with no other requirements for my bag

cameras spend the day between my hands and my vest pockets anyway, they only sleep in the bag

don't sweat it. enjoy it. there are good people everywhere

post some pics when you get back

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Some pictures of my non camera bag looking bag:

Steve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bag1.jpg   bag2.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Not attracting too much attention in a foreign country is a more complex issue. An army surplus bag is a good idea, but you might also not bring too many clothes and buy clothes and a bag there, don't speak in a loud voice, etc.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the same issue. For years I've been using a small sling style messenger bags where I add my own padding or use padding pirated from my domke backpack. I recently have tried a laptop bag (Ogio) and a domke f803. The laptop bag is too big and ill formed to carry my stuff, the domke is about the right size but a bit narrower than I'd like and will only accommodate a minimum setup.

I've looked a the crumplers, but the ones I like require the bucket insert. The normal bags are just Ok, the messenger bags using the insert are great and if I get one bag and 3 inserts i can manage most of my needs. The problem with the crumplers is that what they lack in camera bag appearance they make up for in trendiness -- its hard to be an inconspicuous grump when sporting a trendy bag. If I get the crumpler bag that will accommodate three different kits (one bag 3 insert buckets) the bag will be larger than I need for my most common kit. As it is I'll use the Domke and keep my eyes peeled for ideas found in threads like this and stuff posted on ebay.

Shooter
    35mm
    Another Domke suggestion, but not for the bags themselves, is the padded inserts. I use several of these in a Domke Reporter's Satchel and nobody knows I have a camera in there, it looks like any old messenger bag. I'm on a college campus or around town most of the time, so it's not conspicuous. I agree that these days the canvas bag look has a certain "cachet" it didn't used to have... However, you could just as easily adapt these inserts to fit all sorts of nondescript bags other than the Domke ones.

Shooter
    Medium Format

incognito bag

Hi: My carry around bag for a 35 rangefinder and two more lenses is called
    "Oscar's Little Day Bag" - from Artisan and Artist. Very well made, roomy and does not call attention to itself. You'll find it at their web site or link from Camera Quest.com.

I too have many bags...far too many ...but this one is very neat.

Cheers

Morry Katz
    Lethbridge AB

Shooter
    35mm
    I just got my second crumpler and both have served me beyond well. Here's some pictures:
    http://flickr.com/photos/funkpilz/3247313478/
    http://flickr.com/photos/funkpilz/2690078448/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin