Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,731   Online: 863

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I second the army surplus idea, you can buy used gear. You can also make good dividers for the camera gear with sections of a foam sleeping pad and some duct tape. I recommend a small backpack, backpackers are known to carry things of little value, only bare essentials.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Got a fishermans bag from A & N that goes over the right shoulder. The load (camera & lenses) can be carried @ the back or move to the side, or move to the front where you can keep an eye on your stuff more clearly. Could contain almost anything so no flags go up while you are travelling in hostile territory. And waterproof and well padded. Doesn't carry camera insignia which draws attention. Best $ 40 CND I've spent for a while. Any fishing store would carry these treasures. Major compartments to keep things separate

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Had you seen BareBoneBags?
    http://www.indianhillimageworks.com/...bare-bones-bag

Cheers
    Alfonso

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by goros View Post

No, I had not....it's a little spendy but, looks like it would fit the bill perfectly.

THANKS!

(I wonder if thay can get one to me before I leave in two weeks....)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; es-es) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I ordered one last Saturday and was delivered on Wednesday. But it has to travel to Northern Spain, so I'll espect it next Monday, more or less. Not bad.

Cheers
    Alfonso

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Field Bag

Hi, Brad -

You may have already ordered a bag, but if not, you might want to look at Ellington's "Hollister" field bag or satchel. They seem to be available on "clearance" for about $100. I have more camera bags than I care to admit, including some of those already mentioned, but this is the bag I tend to grab most of the time now. It's tough and low-key, and will fit a Mamiya 6, Leica, film, light meter, etc. I had my mother-in-law (I knew she was good for something!) make me a padded insert out of a sleigh pad my kids have outgrown.

Graham
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ellington Bag.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by panastasia View Post
    I second the army surplus idea, you can buy used gear.
    Yeah, I agree. Just go to an army suppy store or thrift store to look for a bag. I'm sure there's plenty to choose from...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GM Bennett View Post
    Hi, Brad -

You may have already ordered a bag, but if not, you might want to look at Ellington's "Hollister" field bag or satchel. They seem to be available on "clearance" for about $100. I have more camera bags than I care to admit, including some of those already mentioned, but this is the bag I tend to grab most of the time now. It's tough and low-key, and will fit a Mamiya 6, Leica, film, light meter, etc. I had my mother-in-law (I knew she was good for something!) make me a padded insert out of a sleigh pad my kids have outgrown.

Graham

Wow...that one is very nice too....lots of choices. They're all so expensive though. Normally, I wouldn't having a problem but...I'm carrying two bodies and three that I've spent maybe, a grand total of $120 on. Seems strange to spend $100 on a bag to carry $120 worth of equipment.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm just making one out of an old army surplus musette bag. Velcroing the orignal nikon slr holster to the side, and makeing lens tubes out of yoga mat and gorilla tape. film goes in outside pocket, notepad in the other. I have enough room left to put my 2 old school point and shoots, and will be versatile enough to do other things with. Cost me like 20 dollars at most.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Most of the bags that camera store salesmen suggest as things that "don't look like camera bags" actually *do* look like they contain something expensive. Any slick black bag pretty much screams "I'm a rich asshole, please take my bag and my wallet" if you end up in the wrong place / time. Same goes for the crumplers; they look like trendy laptop bags or something.

For awhile my favorite system was a toploader zoom AW bag by lowepro plus whatever lens cases I needed (also from lowepro). The lens cases have velcro which lets you affix them to loops on the sides of the toploader zoom (which itself will carry a camera + long lens in ready-to-shoot position). You can carry this around by the shoulder when it's safe to look like you have camera stuff, or you can disassemble it and stuff it into a cheap green surplus-store duffel bag when you want to look like you're carrying your dirty laundry to the laundromat.

I used this setup all around Belize, Argentina, Guatemala, Mexico, and the USA without any problems.

Of course one thing to consider is that if someone is going to rob you it'll just as likely be for your wallet, but still.. in general I see no need to carry something that screams "thousands of dollars worth of camera gear!"
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin