Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,977   Online: 810

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What's wrong with my scanning technique?

Hi

Please compare the two images below.

The first is a 'standard' (as opposed to pro) 4Mb scan of a Fuji Velvia 100 35mm exposure done by my pro lab that they burned to CD, along with the rest of the film.

The second is a 600dpi 24-bit RGB scan of the same transparency using my own Nikon LS-2000 film scanner with a 'landscape' colour balance selected during the scan process. I've done nothing else with it, either in the scan software or afterwards, and I accepted the defaults of the scanning software more or less, which is VueScan, version 8.5.01 (www.hamrick.com).

I realise I could correct it with sharpening etc, but the two scans are so different, and I expect the pro lab are only using default values too, so where I am I going wrong? Surely it's not just down to the fact they will be using a much better scanner, or is there really that much of a difference?

Where am I going wrong? What are the pro lab doing that I am not?

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    NB - Anyone who has read this in the first couple of minutes since posting, I have re-done the scan using 'Colour Balance : Auto Levels' as opposed to landscape, which has made the water look whiter, but still, it's not great,
    Ted Smith Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ted this is really pretty much out of scope for APUG. You'll get better answers on http://www.Hybridphoto.com or any general photog site.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, fair point. I have posted it there instead. Thanks
    Ted Smith Photography

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin