Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,923   Posts: 1,584,990   Online: 1108

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is not limited to cameras and photographic stuff. Lots of people with old books assume that just because they are old, they are valuable. They don't understand that their third printing of a common title makes it worth only slightly more than the value of the paper.
    I see it a lot in antique tools as well, people equate their rusted hulk of an old Stanley plane with a pristine, in-its-original-box example seen in some catalog for hundreds of dollars, and figure they have a treasure.

Shows like "Antiques Roadshow" just make it worse.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    good lord--- I would be happy to part with my RB67--- tell ya what, I will take $4000 and I will toss in a bag too.
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Searust View Post
    good lord--- I would be happy to part with my RB67--- tell ya what, I will take $4000 and I will toss in a bag too.
    Damn it! I will not give you one cent less than $10,000.

Now don't any of you APUGgers get the idea that you can out bid me for that camera! It is big and heavy!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been watching Craigslist for a while now. I've never seen anything you couldn't get cheaper on eBay or even from KEH. Craigslist is free, so it doens't matter if it takes 2 years to find someone dumb enough to pay their ridiculous asking prices. I suspect there's a lot of haggling on Craigslist too, so sellers are bound to open with high asking prices. At any rate, I don't think there are too many bargains on there, except maybe for enlargers or something that people just want to get rid of. As a used camera buyer for a retail camera store, I can tell you that most people have a crazily over-inflated idea of what there stuff is worth anyway. That's not just limited to cameras, BTW.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    For film dev and darkroom stuff, Craigslist has been the bees' knees for me. I've picked up some outstanding kit for practically giveaway prices. As for cameras, I've also seen lots of unreasonable offers, some reasonable offers,... and just a few that were actually quite good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You always see that on ebay. Some people put up cameras for many times their value. I don't know why, maybe they're just praying some idiot will come along the line. It doesn't help that every once and a while somebody does buy one for one reason or another. Everyone is convinced their camera is worth that much too, even if their bellows have gaping holes in it and the other one was pristine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I got an Olympus OM-system 85mm f2 lens in NICE condition for $50 on Craigslist in Santa Fe, New Mexico, a couple years ago. I agree though that most people want a fortune for old 35mm slrs that are worth little. You almost never see any of the very few 35mm SLRs that ARE worth a lot of money on CL, just dead common ones like AE-1 and Minolta XG-7, cameras that sell for $40 on ebay, and they want $300 for it. I see a lot of them sold with a bunch of no-name lenses claiming it is a good deal because there are "lots of lenses!" Yeah, whatever. LOL
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The no name lenses are another great one. Especially how they title the auction "Nikon Nikkor Nikon lens Sigma 28-80"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    For film dev and darkroom stuff, Craigslist has been the bees' knees for me.
    Same here. In fact, it seems there's always good stuff going begging. There seems to be two entirely different markets for cameras and darkroom stuff. There's still a fair number of people who want good old film cameras, but the home darkroom seems to be not so much in demand.

It's true about camera pricing though--seems completely random, and disconnected from the general run of things on ebay/keh/etc.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Last edited by sun of sand; 02-13-2009 at 11:58 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: didn't like the tone of that

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin