Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,475   Posts: 1,542,611   Online: 945

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have lots of people come into the camera store where I work and are looking to place items on the consignment shelf. I have tried to explain that 35mm gear has dropped in price and will continue to drop while medium-format has stabilized after some big falls and large-format is about the same due to the limited number of people who were ever into it. Most of the time I say they should look for 10-20% of the price they paid for 35mm gear unless it is unique and in excellent shape; people act offended and most often leave with their gear (I see it shortly after on Craigs List or something similar where it sits with no offers). What is more funny is people who come in with digital stuff (which we won't consign for the most part) and don't understand why the 2.0 megapixel point-and-shoot they paid $800 for in 2003 is now worth $25. "But it is a Canon Powershot" they say; my retort always is "I paid $3000 for my Pentium 2 computer in 1997, what will you give me for it now?"

I did see a box brownie at a garage sale this summer, $50. Went next door and paid $15 for the AE-1 with 2 lens and a bag.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was going through some receipts the other day and saw what I paid for my Nikon 880 p&s digital. I still use it (fine for documenting items for insurance or sale) but I'd only get 10% of what I paid if I was pointing a gun at the buyer.

Virtually all of my current film equipment (35mm, MF, LF) was bought used and carefully. So pretty much whatever depreciation I've encountered has been more than compensated by use of the equipment.

Craigslist (at least here) tends to swing both ways (i.e. a Minolta SRT101 with an asking price of $295 with a 50mm and a 3rd party zoom to a SRT202 with 50mm and third party zoom for $29). That's OK. The guy/gal asking $295 is ignorant of camera values; I'm probably ignorant about something they know a lot about. As long as it's fairly represented I don't mind. The market will tell them they're wrong.

But some sellers can be ridiculous. I called about a Nikkormat that was described as "works great". When I asked, I was told the meter doesn't work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here in the depths of the south Pacific, we have ridiculous asking prices on our local auction site (we have TradeMe - no craigslist here yet), and it always annoys me to have to get from KEH or Adorama just because people here can't be realistic with their prices! Now with the currency crashing (was equal to 82c US six months ago, now 52c US) even KEH doesn't come over as such a bargain any more.

Here's a couple of Trademe bargains at the moment...

Nikon F65, $215
    Nikon F501 $400
    Canon EOS 300 / Rebel X $500

Wow, these people are dreaming! Losers...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The convergence of a free Craigslist ad, and the nagging spouse of a recently unemployed photographer who's reluctant to actually part with any of their gear, pretty much solves the riddle.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't think that nagging spouses are why these ads go up. people have old junk that no one's used in 20 yrs, you can tell by how dirty the stuff often looks in the photos in the ads. They think "It's a camera, it must be worth $300 cause cameras are expensive!" Well some are, most aren't. The problem is joe blow almost never has a valuable camera collecting dust in the closet.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just picked up very clean Mamiya M645 for 200 bucks. The seller said he could not get the camera to focus and the exposure meter did not work. I took it home and took out the Dioper lens and put the speed knob in the correct position. Now I just have to expose a roll and develope it. Some sellers just don't know what they have and some buyers don't know what they want to pay. I am glad I knew exactly what I wanted and what to look for. He originally wanted 300 for it. Yes I am happy

Rick
    Long Beach CA.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    .......Shows like "Antiques Roadshow" just make it worse.
    So true.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick-in-LB View Post
    Some sellers just don't know what they have
    Sometimes to a really extreme degree. I've actually sent emails to sellers that were like, that's not an enlarger, it's a Polaroid.

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    with free ad's, there's nothing to lose (but time) by asking $300 for a piece of crap; you can always dump it for $50 later on.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just saw this in my local Craigs List:

"I have been trying to sell this camera for a few months on craigslist. Some of you may have noticed, but I am confident and serious that this camera is worth $300, so this is the final price drop."

On the other hand, there's a shop in California that sells equipment in great condition at increadably high prices... I guess it depends on your business model. Some one, at some point in time, will but anything at a high price... it all depends how long you want to hold it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin