Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,932   Online: 1015

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Ridiculously High ASking Prices for Film Cameras?

I watch Craigslist for deals on used gear, and lately I have seen some really silly ads. For instance, I saw a used Nikkormat with a 50mm and some off-brand zoom lens for $850... you could get the same items from KEH for under $200. I also found a used Mamiya RB67 with two lenses for $5000, you could buy a new camera of the same brand for less. What does the forum think of this, is it a sign of prices to come as film cameras continue to go out of production?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think that the "deleveraging" the economists are talking about has travelled down to personal possessions. These ads are clearly from people who don't know the marketplace for used photo gear and either are more hopeful than realistic. Of course it only takes one ad like this to raise the expectations of others - who just don't know. Sign of the times I guess!!
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I watch Craigslist for deals on used gear, and lately I have seen some really silly ads. For instance, I saw a used Nikkormat with a 50mm and some off-brand zoom lens for $850... you could get the same items from KEH for under $200. I also found a used Mamiya RB67 with two lenses for $5000, you could buy a new camera of the same brand for less. What does the forum think of this, is it a sign of prices to come as film cameras continue to go out of production?
    The market is somewhat turbulent, some sellers are trying for astronomical prices and, sadly, on occasion getting them. Just recently I bought a Voigtlander Vitessa camera (a 1950s collector's item) in great shape for £50 on e-bay, 2 weeks later someone paid £200. I sold 2 Sinar rail clamps (as part of a transaction which was profitable overall for me) for £10 each. The buyer resold them for £95 each (normal e-bay price £30 or so). I think the lesson is, if you know what you want and roughly what the normal price is, keep looking and bidding and you will get what you want at the price you want eventually. I think the people who pay big money are mainly newcomers to photography - lack of bricks-and-mortar dealers means prices cannot be checked this way, maybe the buyers haven't worked out how to check past sales on e-bay and establish a sane price level.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There have always been fools like this, Jay Leno gets a good 10 minutes of laughter out of them every week.

The ad could have been placed by a photographer who promised the spouse to sell "that expensive camera that you never use - we need money for blah, blah, blah - why you ever bought it I'll never know ...". "Honey I tried, I had it listed on Craigslist for two months and not one ....".
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 02-13-2009 at 08:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My favorites are the "I paid $400 new - I'll take $380!"

Shooter
    35mm
    High prices? Depends on whether you're a seller or a buyer, I'm a thinkin'. Remember, KEH (et al) is a business, where Harry or Sally on Craig's list is just trying to unload some un-needed stuff and make a home (or drug) payment, etc. And if they stole the stuff to begin with, then their profit is 100%. Even KEH cant compete with that!

Yes, I am cynical...

paulie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    "I paid $400 new - I'll take $380!"
    Leica IIIf red dial. Paid $200 new, will take $700.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliej View Post
    Remember, KEH (et al) is a business, where Harry or Sally on Craig's list is just trying to unload some un-needed stuff and make a home (or drug) payment, etc.
    How about the one I saw this very morning, i.e., the craigslist seller wants $400 for a camera that KEH has listed in "EX+" condition for $65! :o

"But I paid $400 ..." :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I saw a ad on kijiji that said "Nikon professional 35mm kit"

It was a N75 with the cheap 28-70 zoom.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At the local "fleece market" on Sunday last there was a lady selling 2 rare antique cameras.BRICKS!! At 75 bucks a pop.
    On the flip side at the same place this summer I picked up a mint Nikkor 3.5 28mm lens for $5.00.Go figure.Some folks think that old + film=big $$.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin