Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,541   Posts: 1,544,388   Online: 1021

Shooter
    35mm

store exposed film in the fridge too?

I have a roll of trix that I exposed, but I want to wait until I'm practiced at developing my own film before I try it, because it has some good shots on it. Should I pop it in the freezer with the rest of the film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most of us don't have time/resources to process film immediately after exposure for whatever reason. For my own needs, deep freezing it (with a 12 hour sealed-canister thaw) has served me well for 30 years, snug with the peas and meats! If it will be a couple of months before you get the film into the tank, a freezer job would be fine.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't use specific precautions when I can't develop immediately. For BW film, I'm not sure a few weeks/months will hurt (at least my process does not show any difference between film developed immediately and film having waited for some time).

That may depend on your location, I'm in France and the inside temp hardly gets higher than 28°C
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Developing should be done as soon as is practical because film with a latent image is at its most vulnerable and unstable state. That said, with proper care it is still pretty stable. Fridge for short term and freezer for long term are advisable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In fact, I was more afraid of the effect of humidity than the effects of heat. Is sealing the film in a zip-lock bag sufficient for this ?
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    In fact, I was more afraid of the effect of humidity than the effects of heat. Is sealing the film in a zip-lock bag sufficient for this ?
    Yes, just make sure the film and bag is back at room temp when you open it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I usually don't wait to process, but the fridge or freezer seems wise to me.

Just for complete peace of mind, I'd unfreeze it the same way I unfreeze unexposed film: move it from the freezer to the fridge for a few hours, then to the next coolest place, and so on, ending up at room temperature. If you go directly from the freezer to room temperature, then you can expect condensation.

Condensation may not be any worry though if you plan on developing; just some extra moisture.
    Nikon FM2n (20/3.5, 28/3.5, 50/1.8, 55/3.5, 135/2.8), Pentax 645n (55/2.8), 3rd Eye Cameraworks 6x18 (on its way)

http://kthompson.jalbum.net/KurtThompson/index.html

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If its a roll of 35mm - just leave it in its canister

If its a roll of 120 - then a zip lock bag should be used.

What you are trying to achieve is to keep moisture from condensing on the film surface as you bring the film back up to temperature - it can leave mottling effects (if you have very heavy condensation and are in too much of a hurry to thaw it out)

Martin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Condensation may form when moving from the cooler to room temperature too.
    Just put the film inside a closed bag or plastic freezer box, and bring it directly out of the freezer to room temperature. The condensation will form on the outside of the bag or box. No worries. Saves time.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin